• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Price to go Private?

J

JazzyJ

This is possibly in the wrong place, so I really apologise if it is, but I can't seem to find any NHS dentists taking on new patients. I don't really get much money, and was wondering how much a filling would cost (on average) in a private practice? I live in Liverpool, UK, by the way. Sorry if it's not something people can help with, just thought I'd ask before I go around emailing random dentists asking how much a filling would cost.

Hi Jazzy J.

Don't worry, here is fine to ask your question. :)

I'm not sure there really is an 'average' cost for dental work. The cost for a filling would depend on the filling size and material (composite - tooth-coloured stuff - is more expensive than amalgam), as well as geographical area and how 'up-market' the practice is. FWIW, round my area, a filling could be anywhere from £40 to £250 (based on figures I checked out a couple of years ago). There may be other costs to factor in too - many practices give free consultations, but some may charge for that, or charge for x-rays etc.

A lot of practices put price lists up on their websites, so it's worth checking out the websites of some practices near you. The ones recommended on DFC would be a good place to start. Many dentists also offer payment plans, with 0% interest, but they usually have a minimum spend of a few hundred pounds, so they're only really useful for people having a lot of treatment done.

If you haven't already, you could try checking on the NHS choices website to see which dentists are currently accepting NHS patients. Search for Liverpool; you can narrow it down to dentists with positive reviews, ones who offer some help to anxious patients, etc. There do seem to be quite a few taking on new patients - it may not be completely up-to-date but at least some of them should be!

Hope you find the right dentist for you! :)

I am almost sure I have read on here somewhere from another poster that there is a dental hospital in Liverpool, could you contact them and ask them to see you if you cannot find a dentist.

If there aren't any dentists on the find a dentist section on here, click the links tab at the top of the screen and have a look, you can go on the nhs choices website and have a look on there. Just put your postcode in and a big long list will come up, even if they say they aren't accepting new patients, still contact some you like the look of and ask, it isn't always up to date. Even if a dentist isn't accepting right now, they may be in a few weeks, ask them when they think they may be opening up their list to accept new patients. Some even have a waiting list that they can put you on. You can still carry on looking whilst you wait.

You can also go out of your area, like the next town or where ever you feel you can travel to.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: Let us know how you get on. By the way dental hospitals are very good.

Andy Healy in Liverpool has been recommended several times (private only). As Pianimo has already mentioned, the fees depend on filling size/how many surfaces it covers/material/geographical location/how upmarket the practice is etc.

Last edited: