• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Private dentist scale & polish, versus UK NHS??

P

Poppy1234

taking a break from the forum
How do they compare? :confused:

I can get a free scale and polish on the NHS, or pay £40 private.
I'd pay if I really thought it was worth it!

My previous NHS dentist refused to clean them at all as they are pretty clean! But I know they need doing as not been scaled for 3 years.
Never had it numbed before for this, but they are so sensitive now, I'd need this. But the NHS hygenist doesn't do numbing!
So I'd have to find yet another NHS dentist with no hygenist who'd numb them.

Would an NHS dentist scale and polish compare in any way to what I'd get for £40??

What's this "deep clean" I keep hearing about?
Maybe that's what I had last time that left my teeth and gums so painful there are areas damaged 3 years later.....yikes..
If there are particularly sensitive areas, like inside the front teeth, that feel damaged by the last cleaning, is it really a good idea to have them poke about down there again?
It might be numb at the time, but I have to live with the extra pain afterwards for the rest of my life if they make it worse.........:(

:);)

hiya
i had my first private scale and polish last week and i can say it was far superior to anything i've ever had on the nhs. It cos £26 and i was in there for about 40minutes. It was a bit brutal and as she used the ultrsonic cleaner but she did ask if i'd prefer manual but i just said whatever was best as i do build up lots of tartar on back of teeth! I do have a few ulcers now as it must have damaged the gum a little but it's getting better everyday and i think at least she's got rid of all the tartar which the nhs dentist never did..there was always bits still left after the scale and polish. If i were u i'd prob go private as u have more time to express your worries etc..if you have lots of sensative areas maybe the can go more gently on those. I ouldn't put off a scale and polish as tartar can get under gumline and cause gum recession
anyway let us know how u get on and what happens
saralou x

Thanks!
I actually had just an NHS polish last week. Just the polisher on my teeth felt like they were using something red hot. It was intolerable. So I know I'd have to be numb this time for a proper clean.
The idea of them faffing around for 40 mins without it being numb sounds like my worst nightmare! But I would love a private clean!
The inside of the front of my teeth hurt all the time anyway, after a rough clean 3 years ago, so I'm not sure I ever want that area disturbing again. (If I just put my tonge on this area it sends shooting pains through me.)

That was cheap though for your clean!
Shame you can't just shop around for the cheapest private clean. But they want you to pay for a check-up first.
I chose one with just a £20 check-up, but scale and polish is £40.
xx ;D

The inside of the front of my teeth hurt all the time anyway, after a rough clean 3 years ago, so I'm not sure I ever want that area disturbing again. (If I just put my tonge on this area it sends shooting pains through me.)

Sounds like that area needs some de-sensitising treatment which is just a cream they apply - no taste that I could discern..or a protective composite coating?

yes my dentist does seem very good value for money. even though she's private she doesn't charge too much, a check up is £26 and so is hygenist appointment.

A private dentist's clean may not be as thorough as a private hygienist's clean although if they are numbing you up it should come close. The length of time spent should be an indication of thoroughness.

Sounds like that area needs some de-sensitising treatment which is just a cream they apply - no taste that I could discern..or a protective composite coating?

Never heard of that! I'll ask. NHS certainly don't do anything like that! Can't even get a fluoride treatment off them!
Though this new "Restore" that I got for remineralisation says it's good for sensitive teeth.
The rubbish negligent dentist missed his aim I think, and got tooth rather than tartar one time as he went up between the teeth with a probe thing....he nearly killed me..... :scared:

I have my own probe and keep teeth so tartar free the NHS refuse to clean them! So I'd have to wait a couple of days and let it build up, then go, as I get tartar very quickly!

A private dentist's clean may not be as thorough as a private hygienist's clean although if they are numbing you up it should come close. The length of time spent should be an indication of thoroughness.

You'd think you could get numb then pop next door to the hygenist! Not rocket science is it!!
I've never seen a hygenist, and would like to hear all their advice.
If a hygenist clean is better than a dentists, then I'd prefer that if I'm parting with 40 quid!!

You'd think you could get numb then pop next door to the hygenist! Not rocket science is it!!
I've never seen a hygenist, and would like to hear all their advice.
If a hygenist clean is better than a dentists, then I'd prefer that if I'm parting with 40 quid!!

Privately dentist or hygienist should be happy to numb you up. If hygienist is not certified to do that then the dentist should do it for her. I wouldn't want just anyone numbing me up to be honest so if I were you I'd stick with dentist at least for the first time.

I feel a prat asking for it to be numb anyway.
I've never had it numb before for a clean, but it was just TOO painful last time.
I might ask for a proper deep clean if I'll be numb.
Might as well do it properly!
Though I expect that will be a lot more expensive than an ordinary one privately....:o

I wonder if NHS do a deep clean....?? That could save me a fortune!
I could get that free, then get an ordinary clean privately next time....

But is scaling all that great for your teeth anyway? :confused:

I know you need to get rid of the nasties.....but can it harm enamel having constant cleanings over the years?? :confused:

Read this online from someone who had 10 cavities, but claims they healed loads of them themselves, and the holes disappeared.....But their dentist kicked them out when they questioned scaling being dangerous.....!!

"Dental Cleanings,
The year before I had my diagnosis of 10 cavities, I had stepped up my dental cleanings to once every 3 months. The situation in my case got much worse with the regular cleanings.
According to DR. ROBERT O. NARA, D.D.S. speaking at Total Health '87, "every time you have your teeth cleaned, you lose about 2 to 3 microns of your enamel."
Even in dental professional literature, they state that there is probably some damage to the root surfaces when they scrape with these scalers."
In other words, one wonders if the cleaning process drums up extra business for dentists by weakening teeth and eventually allowing more cavities.
What seems to be the cure, is actually the cause?
On 10/1/02, I called my dentist to cancel all future cleanings until my dentist could show me a published peer-reviewed study where cleanings were effective in preventing cavities. On 5/30/03, I had a reply, but not the kind I expected! Got kicked off his patient list...."

Cleanings does ZERO for preventing cavities. I can show you tons of articles to back that up.

Unfortunately, I can also show you tons of articles to back up that scaling and root planing is the best treatment for periodontal disease. Since more adults lose their teeth from perio than from cavities then it's a bit of a judgement call.

Cheers Gordon. ;D
But does lots of dentist cleanings actually damage the enamel over time, making teeth more prone to cavities?

Yeah, gums are REALLY important aren't they. You always hear more teeth are lost because of gum disease than decay.

Still not sure I should shell out £45 for a private clean. They are charging more as I want it numb this time. The NHS will do it for free...numb...in two sittings....!! No doubt the private one will be better, but that doesn't mean the NHS one will be rubbish.....
I bloody hate those rough cleans. Can't bear it any more. It's numb or nothing!! Call me a wimp, I don't care!!

I asked my new private dentist about a NUMB scale and polish, and explained how horribly sensitive my teeth are, describing the hideous searing shooting pains I get when a dentist pulls that probe between my teeth. :scared:

I told him I could never go through that again, after another dentist damaged some of my teeth being too rough doing my last clean.

They just replied saying being numb "wasn't necessary as their hygenist was very gentle....." :mad: :mad: :mad:

WHY DON'T THESE PEOPLE LISTEN TO WHAT WE SAY?!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

NO-ONE is sticking those evil probes between my teeth again, after the permanent damage I was left with last time, unless it is numb.
And the same goes for when they put hooks into your gums and pull all the skin back, and push the gum up so high I am nearly passing out with pain.

I don't care how gentle they are! It ain't happening unless it's numb!

Back