• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Private v nhs

J

Janp100

I have just had private dentures, a partial on top and i am in so much pain i cant put them in my mouth. Does this settle of do i need another trip to the dentist. Beginning to think i should of stuck with nhs and saved the money as cant see the advantage at the moment.

I have just had private dentures, a partial on top and i am in so much pain i cant put them in my mouth. Does this settle of do i need another trip to the dentist. Beginning to think i should of stuck with nhs and saved the money as cant see the advantage at the moment.

I don't have dentures, but from reading many people's accounts of having both full and partial dentures, sometimes they do need a few adjustments before the fit is right for you. If you're in pain, then something doesn't sound right, so it's probably a good idea to see your dentist and let them check the fit of your new denture. It might be that it just needs a small adjustment; sometimes a few millimetres can make a huge difference to how it feels in your mouth.

As I understand it, it's not uncommon for dentures to maybe need a few adjustments so that it's comfortable for you. People quite often need a few trips to see their dentist before their denture is just right for them. It might be that you also need a bit more time to get used to it as well, especially if your mouth is still recovering from extractions. Your dentist will be able to advise you on this.

There are two main differences between private and NHS dental treatment. First is the amount of time that your dentist is able to spend with you; NHS dentists are usually under a lot of pressure to see as many patients as they can, so they don't always have the same amount of time that a private dentist would. Second, the NHS is only meant to be for treatment that you need to keep your teeth and mouth healthy, so the choice of materials on the NHS is often limited to cheaper materials or essential materials only. The materials that a private dentist would use and have access to (including things like dentures), are usually of a higher quality, so the end result is often more aesthetically/cosmetically pleasing. There are also usually a wider range of treatment options as a private patient.

That's not to say that NHS dentists aren't any good; it does depend on where you go because there is good and bad in both private and NHS dentistry. If you go and see your dentist, they will be able to check the fit of your denture for you.

Go back for adjustments. It may well take several times over a couple of months.

Back