• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pro Enamel Toothpaste

G

ghost whistler

I visited my dentist recently about a sensitive tooth and he said it was down to a lack of enamel and that I should use spome type of Pro Enamel toothpaste. Having tried one brand, not the one he mentioned (because it wasn't available), I've not had much luck. Does this stuff work? Can you heal the enamel on a tooth?

I have been using the Sensodyne ProEnamel toothpaste. After about a month I did notice a remarkable difference in sensitivity. I would also recommend a mouthwash with fluoride, as this is what helps strengthen enamel.

I have been using the Sensodyne ProEnamel toothpaste. After about a month I did notice a remarkable difference in sensitivity. I would also recommend a mouthwash with fluoride, as this is what helps strengthen enamel.

This is my favorite to use too :) I highly recommend it!

Thanks. I am currently using a baking soda based paste that has 'liquid calcium' instead. Not sure it works, though swallowing it is less unpleasant than fluoride!

Thanks. I am currently using a baking soda based paste that has 'liquid calcium' instead. Not sure it works, though swallowing it is less unpleasant than fluoride!

Be careful with baking soda - if the paste is abrasive it can damage the enamel on your teeth. It's mostly used to help whiten your teeth, so if you're not really concerned about how white your teeth are, but more about the health, you might want to switch to something different.

be careful with fluoride as well, its toxic. I personally prefer to avoid it as much as I can, they even add it to the water here which is horrible, so I have to buy water to drink, I'm sure I'm getting more than I want!

I have very sensitive teeth too and recently developed an extreme sensitivity in one of my front teeth, very raw and sensitive to touch. I was advised to use Sensodyne Rapid Relief toothpaste and rub a small amount into the affected tooth with a finger, for about a minute, twice a day. It does help A LOT!

It's rather worrying that any of these methods to keep teeth healthy are ultimately not good for you: fluoride is toxic, baking soda is corrosive! I'm not sure why my dentist said Colgate Pro Enamel, but that's the toothpaste he said I should use. Perhaps jsut the first thing that came to mind, unless he's sponsored by them or something!

Back