• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

pro enamel toothpastes

A

annie778

I was wondering what dentists thought of these. Whether they are just a gimmick or if you can really strenghthen enamel by just brushing with the right paste?

I'm not sure if those commericals showing a bright light illuminating translucencies in teeth are misleading since teeth are naturally translucent. I doubt a toothpaste would have some miracle ingredient that could prevent enamel erosion if someone is prone to that. If you look at the blurb on the Crest Pro-Health website there's no magic ingredient there:

Using breakthrough technology, Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste is the first and only toothpaste on the market today to contain the Polyfluorite System™. This unique system combines two powerful ingredients: stannous fluoride to protect against gingivitis, plaque, cavities and tooth sensitivity; and sodium hexametaphosphate, a stain- and tartar-fighting ingredient. Together they deliver comprehensive protection for your teeth like never before, while providing whitening benefits.

Annie, are you talking about recaldent?

Pearl Drops have made one that claims that now. me being nosey i went and got it compared it with the normal pearl drops pary sparkle i have........ exactly the same ingredients..... crafty bast*rds

Have you tried PreviDent? I just got it for the first time, and I think I really like it. It has something like four times as much fluoride as non-prescription toothpastes, and my dentist thought it might help some areas where my teeth are just barely starting to decay. It's yummy spearmint flavor, too. :)

I used to use all of Arm and Hamer (cant remember how their proper name is spelled), their whitening one, their enamel building one, this one and that one, Pearl Drops, you name it I tried it. Didn't see one iota of a difference at any time, and I know there was one tooth whitening thing I used (cant remember the name of it) when I wanted my teeth to look as good as possible before a wedding, I started using 3 months beforehand, well it sort of worked but then the teeth looked even worse afterwards. Its all academic now in my case though.

Prevident 5000 is an excellent toothpaste as it has a higher concentration of fluoride. I usually will give this one out and recommend it for patients who are susceptible to cavities.

I think milk has a pH of 6.7 so it's slightly acidic. Considering that it is a good source of calcium, it should be good for your teeth.

Good, then I'm glad I decided to go with the PreviDent-- the dentist left it up to me if I'd like to try it or not. It's actually mainly thanks to this site that I chose to get it, after having read all of the suggestions about leaving toothpaste on for the extra fluoride and stuff. :)

This was not a good conversation to "glance" through. I swear, each time I saw the word "PreviDent" I read it as "PERVident". I thought, "Wow...Pervs have their own toothpaste? What? Does it mask some weird lecherous odor?" :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, where does one find PREVident in the US? Is it available in regular drug stores? My hygienist also recommended Act mouthwash to strengthen enamel so I've been using that.

I have a low cavity count but at my last check-up they found a couple of "flaws" in the enamel of two of my teeth and I really want to prevent them from becoming cavities.

Hee hee! I'm going to have to remember to call it that from now on. We'll see if my hubby notices if I casually say, "Well, I'll be right back; I have to go use my PERV-ident!" Lolol... :ROFLMAO:

I'm in the US too, and PREVident (lol) is only available by prescription. A dentist can write you a prescription to take to a pharmacy or call it in to your pharmacy of choice-- and a lot of dentists also have some stocked in their office that you can buy right then and there from them. I got mine from the local pharmacy simply because I forgot to get it while I was at my dentist's office and I didn't want to drive the half-hour back there. My pharmacy is a very small mom-and-pop type affair, so they don't keep it on hand and they had to order it, but I got it the very next day. :thumbsup:

Back