• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Probable loss of small sections of enamel on two, possible three teeth.. petrified of dentist.

E

EMcA1988

Probable loss of small sections of enamel on two, possible three teeth.. petrified of dentist.

[h=2][/h]
Hi,

This is my first post.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a vastly increased sensitivity on two of my upper teeth next to one another (lateral incisor and canine) on the left side and possibly the canine on the right side - there is a very slight similar roughness on the gum line and a lot of white. Disturbingly, and upon looking closely, there are light brown marks and a rougher surface at what seems to be the source of the sensitivity. After (probably) too much time looking at photos of enamel damage online, I suspect this has what has happened. The areas are very small; on the lateral incisor the patch of brown seems to be just below the gum line and on the canine, it seems to touch the gum line. Apart from ordering copious amounts of toothpaste with additional fluoride in an attempt to try and protect other teeth, what should I do? Is this seemingly new brown surface of my tooth already classed as a cavity? I have read about possible treatments including bonding, fillings; would either of these be a course of action or am I on the wrong path here? A couple of days later i.e. now, I can't seem to leave the patches alone i.e. I keep checking them with my tongue and initially tried to brush harder which actually just made my gums sore and created more pain.

I am petrified of the dentist. I have never had the need for treatment historically. I also have a hereditary condition which causes resistance to anesthesia; problematic in the least but making the dentist and possible treatment all the more challenging both emotionally/psychologically, physically and logistically.

Any help and/or advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
Eliza

P.S. I have posted in two boards about this is about both the problem and my phobia but forgive me if either is an incorrect posting.​

Re: Probable loss of small sections of enamel on two, possible three teeth.. petrified of dentist.

Hi Eliza,

So, you are in a difficult position. You are worrying about what may be happening to your teeth, but are inhibited from getting them looked at because of fear of treatment especially with your problem with anaesthesia.
Over the years I have encountered some patients with various conditions that make them quite resistant to local anaesthesia. Fortunately, in the vast majority of cases this can be overcome by using special injection techniques, larger doses, anaesthetics such as articaine and allowing extra time for the local to work.
My advice would be:
1) Do plenty of research to find a dentist who genuinely has an interest in helping apprehensive patients.
2) Contact him by email or phone, before visiting and see how you get on with him.
3) Go to see him for just an examination. That way you will find out what the true situation is with your teeth. it most cases it is not half as bad as you were anticipating. Also knowing what your situation is, removes some of the uncertainty and along with it a little of the worry.
4) Find out what your options are and see how you feel

I can't say much more than that but, believe me if you take those steps you may not have got anything fixed but you will feel better and more in control and then be able to decide when and how to take the next step.
Good luck

Lincoln

Re: Probable loss of small sections of enamel on two, possibly three teeth.. petrified of dentist.

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, Lincoln. I very much appreciate it.

You are extremely adept in you judgement that I feel completely out of control thus more frightened! When much needed rest is required, it is impossible.

There is an additional major complication in the equation which I have not gone into detail about as I am unsure if here is the most appropriate place but what may be apt is to mention it that due to a very complex situation, I will require a home visit, making the separate, already complex situation re my teeth even more so (one additional problem arising from the same condition that causes problems with anesthesia, is TMD (historically TMJ) and I was diagnosed with this as a child, in this context, even historical check ups have been painful re keeping the jaw open for even a few minutes and there being a great risk of dislocation). I will require a dentist able to accommodate visiting and assessing, possibly giving treatment in a home environment in addition to the necessary skills you mention in terms of the possibility of anesthesia, certainly TMD and dealing with a frightened patient; do you think this combination exists?! Research seems to suggest home visits are not the norm or even widely available.

I am aware that the hereditary condition re anesthesia caused an immediate family member to nearly lose her life to compilations arising from a general and since that experience, she has only ever had a locals but again, they have presented difficulties.

In terms of my teeth, I am now experiencing some pain but I am now completely unsure if that is because I am almost constantly poking at the concerned teeth with my tongue and putting extra pressure on them, brushing too hard through fear, it is psychosomatic or if there is some further deterioration. I and hoping beyond hope that it is not as bad as I fear but I am also fearing the worst; I suspect that coming across articles that consist of phrases like 'enamel loss is the beginning of the end of a tooth' as openings, is not helping!

Anyway, thank you again so much for your above reply and advice
Eliza

Last edited:
Back