• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Process for same day temporary denture

S

Sscared

I will be having a deep clean in my bottom front teeth next week which is the first treatment so far.

These particular teeth are the ones with the most issues, I have a lot of tartar build up which needs cleaning and there is a lot of gum recession as well as disease.

At my first check up my dentist said they he honestly cannot be sure if these teeth can be saved, he will clean the area and best case scenario will be that he can splint them in place whilst the gums recover and see how things go after the cleaning.
If however after the cleaning they are not stable enough to remain, he will extract them same day and also make a temporary couple of teeth for the area.

this is worst case scenario he said but could happen.

The dentist has a lab on site and a technician who will make it, how long will this take? Is it likely I’ll be there all day after the extraction waiting for this piece to be made or will it be less time?

I should’ve asked these questions on the day of my appointment I know, but at the time I was just shocked I actually made it (20 years since last appointment)

many thanks in advance!

I will be having a deep clean in my bottom front teeth next week which is the first treatment so far.

These particular teeth are the ones with the most issues, I have a lot of tartar build up which needs cleaning and there is a lot of gum recession as well as disease.

At my first check up my dentist said they he honestly cannot be sure if these teeth can be saved, he will clean the area and best case scenario will be that he can splint them in place whilst the gums recover and see how things go after the cleaning.
If however after the cleaning they are not stable enough to remain, he will extract them same day and also make a temporary couple of teeth for the area.

this is worst case scenario he said but could happen.

The dentist has a lab on site and a technician who will make it, how long will this take? Is it likely I’ll be there all day after the extraction waiting for this piece to be made or will it be less time?

I should’ve asked these questions on the day of my appointment I know, but at the time I was just shocked I actually made it (20 years since last appointment)

many thanks in advance!
I am not a dentist so I hope one is on soon and can answer your questions. I just wanted to say that when I had to have my front tooth extracted, what they called an immediate denture was actually made ahead of time, but was put in the same day as my extraction. They first scheduled a date for the extraction, then took impressions with my teeth still in. Then had the denture (flipper) created and I received it before the extraction. I brought it to the extraction. However my dentist did not have a lab in house. I have never heard of dentures being made immediately but I am sure it is done.

Ssscared,

I so hear you on just being so nervous and shook you forgot to ask half the questions. I usually do that as well. I think its really easy to do and know I often have to write my questions down , and take out my little scratch paper and ask :).. It sounds like your dentist has some good options to help you get your temporary right away. I have volunteered at a mission dental event where they did make partial dentures same day. They had the lab right there and people did spend a bit of the day there and came back in the afternoon and got them. I'm sure it depends on so many factors but entirely possible. Wishing the best case scenario for you, that you can split and keep until they become healthy and that everything goes great for you! Wishing you the best!!

It can be done in under an hour, depends on what the lab is up to and if they've got time to drop everything and do it on the spot.

Thank you all for your replies!

And thank you Gordon, I do think this is his plan from what I remember him saying.

I don’t often see many stories on here about front bottom teeth extractions, are they seen as quite “simple” compared to larger back teeth? As I have a lot of gum recession and sore gums here and I am worried about how “low” this part of my mouth will become and big deep holes as those front teeth are long aren’t they, does that effect how easy it is for the temporary piece to stay in place?

Hi Sscared,

I had 5 teeth pulled front bottom for my partial many years ago. And really. it was definately the easiest pull I ever had.. The dentist told me to close my eyes, gave me local which I didn't feel then I asked when he was going to start and he said I'm done.. I was shocked.. now may have been the guy was pretty handsome and had a very calming voice so I was a bit mesmerized. lol but. it definately was easier than the rest. :) I got my dentures right away so I guess I don't remember the holes Really hope it goes well for you every step!

Hi Sscared,

I had 5 teeth pulled front bottom for my partial many years ago. And really. it was definately the easiest pull I ever had.. The dentist told me to close my eyes, gave me local which I didn't feel then I asked when he was going to start and he said I'm done.. I was shocked.. now may have been the guy was pretty handsome and had a very calming voice so I was a bit mesmerized. lol but. it definately was easier than the rest. :) I got my dentures right away so I guess I don't remember the holes Really hope it goes well for you every step!
Haha!

thank you so much for this little insight. It’s 3 bottom teeth and they are not in good condition at all so hopefully if they do come out they snap out in seconds and that’ll be it! Many thanks ?

Lower front teeth are usually about the easiest to extract, especially if the gums are shot. I wouldn't be the least surprised if you didn't even feel them coming out.

Thank you!

hi, just wondering how you are getting on. I’m in a similar situation and I know what you mean about the hole and wondering how it will all work.

Hi Debbie. I’m sorry I can’t offer much further advice yet, I’ve not been brave enough to start the treatment ? I’ll update when I am though. Best of luck to you x

Back