• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Progress update

G

Godmother1

I first came on here to say I had booked an appointment after 8 -10 years and was terrified. After an initial consultation I returned to have 2 teeth extracted and the front 2 teeth filled. I had plaque, puffy gums and it wasn't pretty. I was told after my gums healed I would need 2 crowns on my front teeth. Yesterday I returned for an appointment to be told my gums and teeth were much better. The front fillings he had done were better than expected and I did not need crowns just yet. He also said if I wanted to fix some gaps I had, implants were the best option but at £2000-£3000 per implant that is way out of my budget so I am having a part denture for 2 teeth. He did some impressions for that and I go back in 2 weeks. Yes my teeth aren't perfect and if I had the money they could be much better but considering I thought they would be all removed for dentures I'm in a better place than expected. I even had a small filling with no anaesthetic injections and didn't panic.
If you are thinking about going to the dentist but are scared and think they are too bad I beg you to try and go. I can now open my mouth without being embarrassed. I'm 65 and to have my own teeth still is better than I could have imagined. I would love implants and a perfect smile but unless I win the lottery I am happy with things as they are. Don't get me wrong, I still feel scared when I go but it's getting better.

I first came on here to say I had booked an appointment after 8 -10 years and was terrified. After an initial consultation I returned to have 2 teeth extracted and the front 2 teeth filled. I had plaque, puffy gums and it wasn't pretty. I was told after my gums healed I would need 2 crowns on my front teeth. Yesterday I returned for an appointment to be told my gums and teeth were much better. The front fillings he had done were better than expected and I did not need crowns just yet. He also said if I wanted to fix some gaps I had, implants were the best option but at £2000-£3000 per implant that is way out of my budget so I am having a part denture for 2 teeth. He did some impressions for that and I go back in 2 weeks. Yes my teeth aren't perfect and if I had the money they could be much better but considering I thought they would be all removed for dentures I'm in a better place than expected. I even had a small filling with no anaesthetic injections and didn't panic.
If you are thinking about going to the dentist but are scared and think they are too bad I beg you to try and go. I can now open my mouth without being embarrassed. I'm 65 and to have my own teeth still is better than I could have imagined. I would love implants and a perfect smile but unless I win the lottery I am happy with things as they are. Don't get me wrong, I still feel scared when I go but it's getting better.

I forgot to say in this previous post thank you for all the stories I read on her that gave me that final push to go and get things sorted ;D

Hi Godmother and welcome! I'm so glad that everything worked out so well for you, many times we imagine the worst when we let our anxiety get the best of us.

This forum got me back in the chair after a long absence and I'm glad it helped you as well. By sharing your story I'm sure someone else will benefit from it, so thank you. :thankyou:

Best wishes,
Takingflight

Back