• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Protection Against Infection

C

Chocobear

I have a large cavity in one of my back molars. I'm still trying to work up the courage to make an appointment to either have the tooth extracted or to go through a root canal procedure. Not only that, but I'm waiting for my dental insurance to kick in.

In the meantime, I obviously need to prevent my tooth from becoming infected. My tooth care routine includes brushing as often as needed, rinsing my mouth out with salt-water, flossing as many teeth as possible, and rinsing my mouth out with ACT Restorating mouthwash before I go to bed. Any more suggestions?

Last edited:
Are you in any pain just now? If not, then you may get away without a root canal. But you do need to see your dentist as soon as possible, as he needs to remove the decay before it eats deeper into the tooth and damages the nerve. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do yourself to prevent this happening.

It's the decay that causes the infection, so you need to get rid of it NOW.

You can get amalgam fillings on the NHS, composite fillings cost between £40 and £80.

Oh, and don't be afraid of the procedure. You'll be numbed up and won't feel a thing! It's like going to the hairdresser's. Honestly, it's nothing!

Good luck! :)

I'm not in any pain at the moment, thankfully.

Back