• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Psychologist

P

phrankp

I had a very rough, recurring, times with a dentist when I was young (<10 yrs) that I'm pretty sure traumatized me for life (I'm older than 50 now). It seems to be the entire experience - smell, taste, sounds, lights etc. However, I had no problem with orthrodontic work when I was 40-41 and the thought of braces etc doesn't bother me.

I know I need dental work but I just can't bring myself to make the call.

My doctor has set up a referral to a psychologist. Has anybody out there tried this? Can it work or at least help?

Hi Phrankp and :welcome:!!

I've often thought of visiting a psychologist, even though I've managed to finish my treatment and are still able to continue my dental visits. A psychologist may be able to help you dig a little deeper into the reasons behind your fear as well as make you aware of feelings or rationalizations that you had not thought of. In addition there are other methods of therapy, other than just talking, that they may offer.

I can't say for sure that it will be the perfect solution but if you choose to go, keep an open mind and prepare to need a few visits before you decide if it's right for you. I think that psychological help is a wonderful option but if someone is resistant it may not be the best course of action - it's hard to help someone who is an unwilling participant. It doesn't sound as though that applies to you though, so I'd say give it a shot. :thumbsup:

I hope that you will stick around and take some time to read through the journals and success stories. That had a profound effect on me and after a couple of months of lurking I was finally ready to take the plunge. The support can be invaluable so seek it out if you find it to be helpful - we'll be here for you!! :)

Best of luck as you move forward, please keep us posted!

:cheers:

A psychologist might also be able to help you track down a dentist who works with people with dental phobia.

Back