• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Psychology

M

michelle34

How much time and energy is put into psychology and body language.By the time dentists are finished are they pretty much masters of body language. Can they tell if someone is nervous even if the person says nothing.???

F

freakout

Speaking from the patients side of things, I have never been able to tell my dentist that I am scared, however I am usually shaking like a leaf and yes he knows I am nervous. Basically I can tell by his body language that he can tell how nervous I am lol

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
I came across a study recently which suggested that most dentists find it very difficult to judge how nervous someone is. So you should tell them. If it's glaringly obvious (e. g. because you're crying or shaking badly), it's a different story - but even then it is very important to let them know that you're scared. There's nothing worse than having to second-guess another person's concerns :(. Letting the other person know makes things a lot easier for everyone :D.