• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Psychology

M

michelle34

How much time and energy is put into psychology and body language.By the time dentists are finished are they pretty much masters of body language. Can they tell if someone is nervous even if the person says nothing.???

Speaking from the patients side of things, I have never been able to tell my dentist that I am scared, however I am usually shaking like a leaf and yes he knows I am nervous. Basically I can tell by his body language that he can tell how nervous I am lol

I came across a study recently which suggested that most dentists find it very difficult to judge how nervous someone is. So you should tell them. If it's glaringly obvious (e. g. because you're crying or shaking badly), it's a different story - but even then it is very important to let them know that you're scared. There's nothing worse than having to second-guess another person's concerns :(. Letting the other person know makes things a lot easier for everyone :).

Back