• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question about a permanent bridge?

D

dorker

I was just wondering. Having neglected my teeth for years ... (see the post in Support), I'm now facing down, a problem with (several teeth) but the more crucial/acute issue, my lower right. There was an abscess this past week. The culprit tooth will have to go. Not salvageable. But, on the other side of that tooth, is the back wisdom tooth which never fully erupted through, has to go also. On the front of the culprit tooth is another broken tooth, and it was explained to me that they could do a root canal and crown, etc, for that tooth, but when I explained that I couldn't afford that, they said they would need to take that tooth also, because there will be nothing to support that broken tooth now, and so now it too will cause issues.

Someone asked me (and I don't know the answer to this question). Am I going to have a permanent bridge built for the area where there will now be 3 missing teeth.

That's a question I don't know the answer to.

I thought a "bridge" would have to have an anchor tooth on each end of it. There won't be anything to anchor anything to, in the back.

Can anyone answer that?

Can one have a bridge, a permanent bridge (I'm not even sure what that would cost, and that's the major factor for me, I don't have much of a budget for teeth, .... thus .... the decades of neglect, and the boat I'm in now), that and my phobia of dentistry. Can they build a permanent bridge, where there is nothing left in the back to anchor it too?

Is that cheaper, typically, than implants would be? Which is out of the question, I can't afford that.

hello Dorker,
I'm not a dentist but I think they can make you a partial denture for that area? I'm in the same situation..I have two molars left, one on the right side , one on the left on the bottom of my mouth.I'm going for a partial denture...At least I can eat then!

Hi,
as Lillhy said, it sounds that a partial denture is the best solution. It is most certainly cheaper than a bridge and appropriate when a large number of teeth are missing.
It is also cheaper on the longer run: in the future, if one of the teeth needs to be extracted, you send the partial denture to a dental lab so that they will put one more tooth to the denture.

Back