• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question about getting dentures

D

d717

In your opinion would it be better to get all my extractions at once or do the top first and then the bottoms? The dentist suggested the top first, but I'm wondering if it would be better to get it all done at once

I had all mine done at once. Top and bottom at the same time as it was less stressful.
If you haven't an extreme phobia, then listen to your dentist as they do know better and then think what's comfortable for you; obviously.
Don't forget the gums have to harden off before impressions can be made so there is a time frame for dentures which could be span several months, if you decide to split the treaments.

Good luck with your decision.

Like Colin I have just had all 28 of mine out at once. Worked for me, I would not have gone back for more I don't think. Your dentist knows best so listen to his advice. Did you ask him about having them all out at once? If not then ask if that's what you would rather do. Good luck on your journey x Dee x

Thanks...The appt for the impressions is tomorrow :( I will ask the dentist. They will be doing immediate dentures so there will not be a wait, but I think one of the reasons that they suggested it is to save me the $1500 and do the bottoms after the first of the year (on the next years dental ins.) We only get $1500 a year to play with. BUT I have that same anxiety that maybe I won't go back and do this again, because honestly I don't even know how I am going to go through with this one time. I am freaking about the impressions tomorrow. UGH i hope this is worth it. I can't even believe that I made it through the first appt. Thank God tomorrow I can take medicine before. I am so freaked that they are going to put something in my mouth. Anyway...thank you both for responding! I really appreciate it!

Hope the appointment goes well for you today...thank goodnes for the NHS:jump: My treatment is costing me £204 all together including dentures;D Can't believe the costs elsewhere:o Let us know how it goes today x Dee x

Well, like I said in my previous post to you..I did it! I had a rough night last night and took a valium pill, which helped zzzz. I didn't take anything this am, although just knowing the option was there helped. I figured I wanted to go to work afterwards so I just lived through it. Tomorrow is the consult with the surgeon, it is happening so fast...but I want it that way. I did discuss with my dentist the options of doing it all at once or tops first and we decided on tops first. He said that many times it helps to do one at a time because people tend to not wear the bottoms when they are immediates, because it is so much new plastic in your mouth that it is harder to get used to. But he did leave it up to me. anyway, will update tomorrow. Take care. Dee2 ;)

Keep us posted about your consult tomorrow, you have done really well so far :XXLhug: You must be feeling really proud right now and so you should:) x Dee x

Appt is in a few hours...I am at work and sick to my stomach :sick: I guess I didn't plan this too well making it late in the day...even though it is only a consult...one of my little pills would have been quite helpful at this point. Ugh please let me get through this. I hope to God this guy is as patient and caring as my dentist. I know he will need to look in my mouth. I know he has seen worse. I know I will live. So then why is my body shaking and my thoughts racing and my stomach about to explode? And WHY dear Lord did I eat taco salad for lunch :sick:....

Well, I am home. I went to the appt. That's the positive part of this post. The rest, well not so much. I got sick while waiting and ran to the bathroom. I was a mess. I held it together during the consult. My bp was high because I was so nervous. The surgeon tried to be nice. But didn't understand that it's not the pain that freaks me out. I also get it that he had to put his fingers in my mouth. He had to feel around in there. ugh...I'm just not doing good. I think I am going to go lay down.:shame:

ohhh :XXLhug: nooo. I hope you feel better soon.
Did you have the impressions done?
Perhaps the little pill woulda been a good thing to take to help relax you. Sometimes trying not to depend on them can be worse. I"m sorry you struggled so much. :shame:

I don't go for my consult for another 2 weeks but a part of me wishes I had done it sooner because I'm struggling with some sensitivity and pain now. Now I have to wait 2 weeks and then wait again for the rest of it all to get done.

I don't know how I"ll be this time around but I pray it won't be the same.

I hope you feel better soon but just know that you got through it.

You made it there, that is a huge step by itself but then you let him examine you, another huge step:jump::jump::jump: Did you get the impressions done? Big :XXLhug: to you hun, you did sooo well. x Dee x

Thanks Dee..
I went for the impressions Thurs and the surgeon consult Friday. The dentures will take 1-2 weeks to be made and then as soon as I am happy with them, I schedule the surgery. They said they are only booked about a week out. I am thinking it will be sometime in October. I am feeling kind of vulnerable right now. Definately afraid. I am also very tired. This panic takes alot out of you. I wish I could ust take a break from thinking about all of this, but it sure is taking over all of my thoughts lately. That's one reason why I just want to get this over with...but that thought brings so much panic :( I did decide to get the uppers done first, although the surgeon wants to take out more bottom teeth then the dentist at the same time, so they will discuss what is best. I have an idea which teeth I want to keep (until I am ready to get the lowers done) I am going to call my dentist on Monday. I also decided to wait because of the money factor...the cost is CRAZY...I am going to have to pay about 3700 just for the first surgery. I have already paid 376 for the impressions and the dentures to be made. All of this is after surgery...that doesnt evn include the implants which will surely be alot...they arent covered in ins. So, not that I am not worth it, it is just another stress on me. Tonight I am going to my nephews wedding, which I am happy for him, but the whole family will be there and they will be talking about my situation...ugh I am sorry to be rambling. I think i am going to go get a pedicure. Hope you are well and thanks for the hugs :XXLhug:! D2

We will probably get our new smiles (not calling them dentures anymore) at about the same time, should get mine mid october :). Can't believe the costs over there, rediculous, but you are worth any amount:thumbsup: I agree it does consume you a lot but it is a BIG thing that we are doing so it's bound to be on our minds 24/7. It does get better though:XXLhug: All I can think about now is my new smile and I get to choose what shade of white, how big/small I want MY teeth to be. OOH SO EXCITED NOW :jump: Stay positive.....it is a few weeks out of the rest of your life, you can do this, you have taken some BIG steps already x Dee x

That's about when I expect all this to happen with me too. Thank you for your support in this..it really means the world. It sure is a humbling experience, but one that, in the end we will be so much better off...I dropped off my xrays to the dentist this am. I was actually smiling as I went in the door...(a no teeth smile) but still...it is an improvement. You really do have to count every little accomplishment. Talk to ya soon. Hope you ahve a wonderful day!
:XXLhug:

Thanks Dee..
I went for the impressions Thurs...... D2
Very curious how that went for you. The impressions.....

Ooh....smiling as you went to the dentist, WOW, what an achievement:jump: Well done you:) Did the impressions go ok? Got mine on thursday:) Another step towards our "new smiles" x Dee x

Oh and found out today you can blend bacon and eggs, yummy :)

Thanks guys...the impressions....well...it went ok. I was really nervous. The dentist had me lay back in the chair. I became more nervous and asked him if I could sit up. He said he needed to see in my mouth and needed me to lay back. So I did. I told him I was nervous I would gag. He told me if I start to gag to lift my feet up :o I didn't argue, nor did I ask what that would do. Anyway, I didn't really gag much. A few little coughs but nothing too bad. It was alot to fit in my mouth. I did it. It only lasted for a few minutes...like 2 minutes each. In the long run it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I was also worried that one of my teeth that is pretty bad would break when he tried to take it out. But it didn't. So overall it wasn't as bad as I thought. Definately not great fun though! :XXLhug:

He told me if I start to gag to lift my feet up :o I didn't argue, nor did I ask what that would do......
It's suppose to make you forget that your gagging or so I've been told. supposively you can't gag if your focusing on a muscle factor (stomach muscles) when you're lifting your legs/feet.

I'm gonna try that while brushing my tongue.

I am SO not looking forward to impressions... :cry: REALLY hoping they can do it while I'm either sedated or under GA.

I understand your fears...i can say it wasn't as bad as I imagined. I ended up doing it without medicine, because I wanted to go to work afterwards. I kept telling myself it will only take 2 minutes, I can do it. and well.. just got through it. Not fun but not as bad as I anticipated. Take care! Dee2;D

Back