• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about having a root canal with possible sedation?

Z

zo26

Hello :)

I recently had a filling done on one of my lower back right teeth (two forward from my wisdom teeth) as whilst I had braces half of my tooth snapped off when I was eating something. My dentist warned me that because the damage was high he didn't know if the filling (it was the side and middle of my tooth that had gone) would last but he would try.

Id had the filling for about 2 months, and yesterday whilst eating on the opposite side the filling just fell out. My dentist mentioned if this happened I'd probably have to go down the route of having a root canal.

Im 17 and literally just thinking about the dentist makes my palms sweat and I feel sick, I get nervous just thinking about walking into my dentist and I can't deal with the thought of having a filling never mind a root canal! I'm 18 in June, and once I turn 18 any treatment I have won't be covered by the NHS.

My questions include:
  • How long is the typical waiting list to be referred to the hospital to have sedation?
  • How much would it cost if the waiting list is so long that the NHS would no longer cover it?
  • What other sedation methods are there? (I'd not even like to be awake if I'm honest, even if I can't feel anything the sounds of what they're doing and sitting there makes me want to cry)
  • What are people's personal experience with having a root canal?

I'm so petrified id rather not go to the dentist and just lose my tooth completely :( thank you

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Having a RCT is very different to having a filling done. I know you are thinking obviously it is, but what I mean is there is a fair bit of drilling, too much for my liking, involved when having a deep filling done.

A root canal is very little drilling it is so quiet and gentle contrary to what people think it is. You feel nothing at all, once you are numbed, they will put a rubber sheet called a rubber dam over the tooth, this is a small rubber sheet that goes over your mouth with a hole punched in the position of the tooth they are working on, you can still breath and swallow normally. The rubber dam goes on a frame, this can be flipped off in less than a second. This keeps the tooth isolated and dry, keeping the tooth dry is very important to the success of the RCT.

They drill for what feels like seconds, the rest is done with little hand files, this is what takes the time. They usually xray the tooth to make sure they have got to the tip of the root and that is has all been removed.

They are usually done over two 45 minute appointments, this sounds like a long time. It isn't when you are there, the time is taken up with waiting for you to get numb and taking maybe a couple of x rays. It isn't all work. Having a RCT is quite boring really.

Once the roots have been cleaned out, the dentist will then fill them and put either a temp filling in if doing over two appointments or permanent filling if doing in one. Both ways are fine it is down to how the dentist prefers to do them. If done in two app's the second is much the same as the first. Usually 6 months after they put a crown on the tooth. They leave it without a crown to make sure that it settles and stays settled down.

The NHS - you can still have treatment on the NHS but when you are 18 there are three charges:

If you are on certain benefits you could still get treatment paid for. I am not sure if students get an allowance too.

I hope this helps you a bit, the waiting times for hospital app's are usually about 3 to 6 months. As far as I know if work is done at a hospital you don't pay.

I was terrified of having a RCT, a couple of years ago I had to have one and since then I had to have another one done and a re treatment. I would rather have a RCT done than a filling any day. I was also terrified of going to the dentist, with the right dentist getting work you need is much easier.

I hope this helps you :butterfly:

Last edited:
Root canal treatment is much easier than a filling. Like Carole I would much rather have a root canal than a filling. I'm quite serious. Root treatment is really dull and the drilling bit is really short. I have had 2 root canal treatments.
Instead of sedation you could ask your GP or your dentist for a drug like valium or temazepam to take before your appointment. It will make you feel less anxious and better able to cope with your appointment. Just make sure your dentist knows that you are doing this. This way you can have the treatment now rather than waiting for a referral.
Don't listen to scare stories from other people - root canal has a really bad name. Mention it to most people and they will make a 'horrified' face - but the reality is the complete opposite. People will never tell you about the dull, boring dental stories which are the vast majority.
Just make an appointment and go along to see the dentist. Discuss the issue of your fears with him/her and your need for sedation - either oral (like valium) or IV (at the hospital). If you don't like the sounds you could take an mp3 player or something.
Cheers
Coolin:XXLhug:

Back