• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about Impression Molds

Camisa

Camisa

I had impressions taken once two months ago and once a month ago; first time was when I was considering braces, the second for my partial denture.

I decided against braces (I like my slight overbite; I hate the shape of my teeth). So I decided I am getting 6 veneers over my top front teeth.
During my last experience, getting impressions, I was so absolutely freaked out by the horrible experience I had with the unprofessional dental office I was stuck with that I now cannot handle getting them again for veneers (at least, not all the way back...) even though this is a whole new dental office. (they're not too keen with dental phobics, but I can afford them).

Would it be possible to get even half of them (instead of them going all the way back)? since I'll only be getting my front top teeth veneered?

You guys are the only dentists/dental folks I really trust, so, I appreciate your input..

I can give you input but strongly suggest you post nice pictures. Remember that most digital cameras have a close-up setting. I have performed veneers for over 20 years so I can give you all of the good and the bad.

I can give you input but strongly suggest you post nice pictures. Remember that most digital cameras have a close-up setting. I have performed veneers for over 20 years so I can give you all of the good and the bad.

Yes Camisa, have the pros and cons of veneers been spelt out to you?

Hi guys. I have some photos for you. Sorry for the delay.
Yes, the pros & cons have been weighed.. and ultimately, braces cannot fix the fact the half my teeth are shorter than the other half of my teeth, and though I have a slight overbite and an overjet, it's not so severe that it looks bad. (the close up pics make it look pretty bad though, haha). Also of note, my bite is crooked; you can tell because the middle of my top teeth do not line up with the middle of the bottom. This can't be fixed with braces, only jaw surgery, which I don't want nor can afford. I don't like it but hey, you know?
sorry for the chapped lip.. I pick it .. force of habit.
I sucked my thumb until I was 12. go ahead and laugh. :p

[broken links to photos removed]

ps I called the dentist office and they said the impression tray won't include the pallette which might make it easier on me... and may go as far back as my "first molars,;" I'm still scared they're only going to get as far as my bicuspids. I hope that will be good enough?

I think you are stunning and have a beautiful smile.........no way I would veneer those pearly whites. especially so young, once you take enamel away, your teeth will never be the same.

rp

Thank you RP.
That's something I was incessantly worrying about the etching in order to bond the porcelain veneers. They said I will not require shots or anything, likely I will just have the etching. It still bothers me though - makes me worry, what about when the veneer fails in 10-15 years +/-?

Dentists, though often tell me that the porcelain veneer will protect the tooth and make it stronger.

Is that just a sales pitch?

My biggest problem with my teeth are the shape of them and the size of them. Left side, they are all smalle/shorter than the right. And in general, I feel that all of my teeth are too narrow. Bonding, apparently discolors and doesn't last, so this is why I opted for veneers......

Am I making yet another bad decision

Honestly, if I suddenly woke up one day and had teeth that looked like your's, I'd be out dancing in the street. They look really good.

Often times, I think we think that people always pay attention to our teeth, when in fact they don't. All the people around me had no idea I had the two broken teeth that I needed extracted, including my fiancee. When one of my front teeth finally came in after trying to come in sideways, I had this ugly black hole in two teeth just because there was no way to clean well until the tooth straightened out a little. I was really centered on these two teeth, thinking that everyone would see them and be disgusted. I found a good dentist as a teenager and had them filled. And you know what?

No one realized that I had done that. A lot of people thought I was looking really good lately and honestly asked me what I had changed, but no one said or realized it was my teeth.

I think you should think really carefully before having this done. You're teeth look lovely.

I think you are stunning and have a beautiful smile.........no way I would veneer those pearly whites. especially so young, once you take enamel away, your teeth will never be the same.

rp

OMG I agree with RP. I have a similar smile with one slightly crooked tooth.
Yes the strengthening thing is absolutely a sales pitch and a blatant lie.
The dentist who refuses to do it for you saying he wouldn't do it to his wife's teeth (the truth) is the one with your best dental interests at heart.
At least composite can be redone cheaply over the years..close that gap that bugs you (which isn't that bad) with composite.

Think they are talking about lumineers with just etching.... Up to you to weigh the pro's and cons and long term effects. Keep asking questions until you are absolutely sure- no going back.

Self image is just that- what you value in yourself, how you see yourself and what is improtant to you. Only you can answer.

Even with my 70K smile my teeth are not perfect...they said they would look too fake. So as I was going through all my dental work Mike Gow gave me the best advice. he said no one is 100% happy with their teeth because we don't really have 100% perfect teeth. If you can be 90% happy with what you see that is great but judge it from 10 feet behind the mirror. Amoreyna is right, no one looks that close- unless maybe you're being kissed and then eyes should be closed.....:devilish:

Wow you guys, thank you for all of the responses!!!

Can...anyone clear this up for me, the reason why veneers would be a bad idea? The reason I ask is because when I tell my dentist this, I want to be able to explain it to him. So far every dentist I've ever spoken to about improving the gaps in my teeth, have always told me that no matter what road I go down for it....to never go with the bonding because it stains and wears quickly. But, like you guys, I always thought that it would be cheaper to maintain on a longterm basis, afterall, I'm kinda poor, and it's not like I can afford to have my teeth re-veneered frequently.... I am seriously considering the bonding now, but not sure how to approach my dentist with this.
I would do the braces, but it doesn't address the shape and size of my teeth, and I my overjet lifts my upper lip which I like.

Love you guys xoxoxo

[broken links removed]

Try googling it some more. These are by no means unbiased.

[broken links removed]

Last edited:
Yeah, I had read all that. I posted the question quote directly on realSelf, and all the cosmetic doctors, plastic surgeons, etc. pounced on me, forbidding me to ever consider the bonding. But, we all know they do have a bias, and its name starts with the letter "$"

But they dd give a pretty good argument, and told me that since options bonding and veneer needs replaced at one point or another, why not go with the veneer because it may end up costing less to maintain in the longrun and will no doubt look better for longer, too.

However. I do not understand the concept of damaging healthy body parts for cosmetic purposes, so don't get me wrong.

That is when they assured me that the veners can actually strengthen and protect my teeth.

uh..... so why then, MUST i replace them when they break?

I am a night grinder too. I'll probably grind the porcelain until it breaks, and i'll probably choke to death on the chipped bonding while grinding that off too.

Let me ask you guys this...... if you had to choose between veneers and bonding, which would YOU choose? and why?

help. heh.

I think your smile is great as it is. If you are unhappy with the gap at the side, then close just that with bonding (result dependent on dentist's artictic flair with the material as he sculpts it in situ).

It seems like lumineers are less invasive than standard porcelain veneers (in theory they can be removed) but if you have bite and grinding issues, you maybe shouldn't be considering this at all.

It seems to me you are looking to spend a lot of money to solve a problem you actually don't really have except in your own mind. I bet everyone who knows you thinks you have a nice smile.

Not lumineers but when it goes wrong (This is a TV makeover dentist), it goes badly wrong: [out-of-date links removed - admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my take:
looks like you have an open bite, large teeth with somewhat straight walls so the shape is rectangular instead of the more desirable trapazodal shape.
In Miami aesthetics are highly pursued often regardless of the costs. So I'm seeing this from a different view than most on this forum.
Here is my advice based on limited information:
Invisiline will make a big change and greatly decrease the gaps. Nor it won't change your jaw now will veneers.
Veneers are a misstake! I'm not judging on what is right I have my opion based on it is an aesthetic mistake. Your teeth will be too big and you will look funny in a bad way.

If after invisiline treatment you still aren't satisfied then I would consider cosmetic dentistry. Don't worry about impressions because eveerything I have said can be done with the itero scanner so no impressions needed. The Itero is available and used in the USA.

By the way girls look way better with a class II bite than guys.

Back