• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Question about Magic Mouthwash

D

drummerswife

Dr. Katie has given me a special mouthwash made up of Lidocaine and Mylanta to rinse with before I go to see her on Friday. This is supposed to be for the cleaning she will do. Its supposed to numb your gums or so I'm told.
I'm a bit skeptical about this. Has anyone else ever used this? Does it work?
Any info appreciated.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Should work reasonably well, I can't imagine how bad it's likely to taste though!

D

drummerswife

Thank you Gordon. I am not so much concerned with the taste of it but more if it will be effective

S

Stress Doc

Account Closed
Hello Drummerswife:

It is probably a vicious lidocaine at 2% concentration. This works very well. You may need to swish it in your mouth for 3-5 minutes to allow it to work. The taste is not bad. It is very effective at numbing the oral tissues.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I think that should read "Viscous lidocaine" :)