• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about mouth sores

M

MountainMama

About a month ago, a week after finishing a round of clindamycin (prescribed by my endodontist), my lips were forming painful blisters on the inside, and I had painful red legions on the roof of my mouth as well. I went to my doctor, who said it was a delayed reaction to the clindamycin. It was awful and painful, and took a week to clear up, with magic mouthwash and a dental steroid paste.
A few weeks ago, I started getting the red spots on my lips and roof of my mouth (those came before the blisters). I immediately called the doctor and got more magic mouthwash. It never got worse and went away. It was four days after having the endodontist x ray my front tooth.
Today, I noticed red spots in the roof of my mouth again, and on my lips. They are sore but not blistered. I am starting to wonder if it is not related to the clindamycin, and is dental related. I got this round 4 days after my molar extraction.

Are there any dental related reasons that could be causing this? X rays? I have had a ton of x rays this past year, but I know they do not put off a lot of radiation. But I have had a LOT, between the dentist, endodontist and oral surgeon. Could it still be a delayed reaction to the clindamycin? My intestines still haven't recovered completely.

I am trying to decide whether to follow up with my doctor or dentist. I am getting nervous because it keeps coming back.

Last edited:
Hard to say without seeing... the x-rays aren't an issue, modern units with digital sensors give off very little radiation indeed and it's well focussed.
Could be some kind of fungal episode like thrush, Clindamycin is a very wide spectrum antibiotic and would be likely to cause issues, but it seems rather a long time since you had it... I would expect a dentist to have a much better chance of diagnosing the issue than a medical GP, they don't know much about mouths (in this country at least!)

Hard to say without seeing... the x-rays aren't an issue, modern units with digital sensors give off very little radiation indeed and it's well focussed.
Could be some kind of fungal episode like thrush, Clindamycin is a very wide spectrum antibiotic and would be likely to cause issues, but it seems rather a long time since you had it... I would expect a dentist to have a much better chance of diagnosing the issue than a medical GP, they don't know much about mouths (in this country at least!)

Thank you, Gordon. I will check with my dentist if it doesn't go away. I had thought about thrush, but thw doctor had said last time that thrush doesn't cause blisters on the outer lips, which I had then. There also is no white in my mouth.

There's other manifestations of candida albicans than Thrush, but the outer lip thing is a bit off.

I asked my dentist yesterday, and he said it did not look like candida, since I had no other signs. The lesions kind of got better, then worse again today. Now I have three large red areas in the roof of my mouth that feel burned, and a really bad taste constantly. I thought the taste was due to the tooth extraction, but noticed when the lesions stopped hurting for a few days, the taste went away, then came back with the pain.
The dentist said he didn't know, and to have my doctor do some tests. I don't think he wanted to deal with it, as he is swamped right now.
The only other connection I can see with timing is the implant. It started about 2 weeks after I got the implant and has come and gone since then. Surely if it was an allergy, I would have issues with the actual implant, right? There is no redness or irritation around it. I see the oral surgeon tomorrow and I am going to ask him.

I am so tired of my mouth hurting all the time.

Back