• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about pain im having...

R

robkisgod

So last week I had to get oral surgery on a tooth that was nothing but root due to a crown I had falling out and swallowing it. The roots got infected and had to be extracted. So had it done last Tuesday, and first few days were great with no issues. Since than I have been getting some severe pain in the area where the tooth was and also my jaw on both sides, and my temple throbs pretty steady. After the procedure he gave me a shot of a steroid and it seemed to really help it heal fast, literally the area where the tooth was is fully healed and just a slight little divot where the tooth was. The only way to get rid of the pain is rinsing with mouth wash and icing my face. I do grind my teeth hardcore in my sleep which is a major cause of my dental problems. From past times I had a tooth either pulled or cut out I have never had an issue past 3 or 4 days, this is the first time that a week later I am still having pretty severe pain. I have looked and it definitely isnt a dry socket, the hole is fully healed. Any information from anyone is greatly appreciated.

I am not a dentist but I have a few ideas. I am not saying that any of them are definitive, I recommend calling the dental office where you had the extraction. If a small piece of root remains that is infected it may be flaring up. Did you take antibiotics? Is there swelling? Maybe the infection spread through the bone and gums. It could also be a small piece of bone working its way out. Did you have any pain before the extraction? If so, is it similar? I wish I could be more helpful but I would say that after 7 days you really shouldn't be having pain without something else going on. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back