• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question about painkillers

K

kevinf

i am about to have my wisdom teeth extracted on monday. i want to take some painkillers so that the anesthesia injection won't hurt me too much. how much should i take

Kevin -
I had my wisdom teeth out (3 at once since I didnt have insurance and had final one out (since that is the one that wasnt hurting me at time!)once ins. kicked in.
Ok...I went to the oral surgeon...and he said you will feel a warm feeling in your arm....my next question was -"when are you going to start the procedure?"
He said, "we've already finished!!"
ah. What a feeling. I wouldnt even bother taking anything....once you get there they will give you something and you wont feel anything!!
no worries. Good luck to you. It is over before you know it!:);)
PS> You will be prescribed some Tylenol with codeine or somethng pleasant afterwards...so take it after they finish and then when it wears off you wont be uncom,fortable!
If I CAN GET THROUGH THIS,.,.ANYONE CAN. I am the biggest baby! I was 26 when I had it done!

wait so you didn't feel the injection? or what? i didn't really understand your post. sorry if i am being rude. i've gotten one out before and it was totally painless i am just worried about the injection

most, if not all dentists now use a surface numbing agent before applying the shot = I had a LOT of shots to numb me (honestly I have NO idea how many) My husband was in the room wth me, and he thinks he remembers 3 or 4. I felt NOTHING, except a bit of pressure when the medicine began to take affect.. No injection pinch, no poke, nothing.

If your worry is the injection only, talk with the dentist about using a surface gum numbing agent & how the injection will work... The slower the dentist injects the medicine, the less it hurts - if he/she does it REALLY slow, there's no pain at all...

If you are worried about lingering pain AFTER the procedure, ask your dentist if taking a high dose of ibruprofen or a normal dose of a prescription just before your appointment is safe... I've never done that = just made sure I had meds on hand for immediately after & taken it in the office before I leave. Or in the bathroom so I know I'm not dribbling water all down my front;)

Just popping in to wish you all the best for tomorrow's extractions. It's perfectly normal to feel a little (or even a lot) anxious, but injections can be completely painfree. YOur denetist will more than likely use a numbing gel first so that you don't feel the injection at all, and/or use the Wand to deliver the injection. I think often one's fears of injections is looking at that actual needle, but with the wand, it doesn't look like a needle at all. Anyway, once the tooth is out, and before the numbing wears off, that is the time to start on your painkillers so you don't experience any soreness from the removal, and then carry on every 4 hours for as long as necessary.
Anyway, best of luck, I'm sure everything will go fine and look forward to reading your post of how it all went.:grouphug:

yeah i think he does use it it's just that it doesn't really have that great of an effect

im sorry I tought you meant the whole procedure. Having the iv or injection put in smooth sailing.. No worries. I didn't feel anything. It's like going to get bloodwork done (if you ever had a phlebotomist draw yourblood!). You will feel a tiny prick and poof...onto feeling nada,zip,zilch!
The beauty of drugs! (only in medical aspects!) Good luck. You will do great!! gIVE us a report back!

Last edited:
I don't think taking painkillers before having a local anesthetic helps reduce sensations related to the injection. Taking them before the freezing comes out should help reduce the overall amount of pain that you experience afterwards though.

hi

I completely agree with zzz dentist!
The wisdom tooth extraction is considered to be a very painful one.But,it's a misconception.You will just feel the prick of the needle and thats it .The anaesthesia will provide you with enough numbness .It's the dentist who has to work really hard in pulling out that tooth because the last or the wisdom tooth extraction is a cumbersome job.Sometimes the roots of these teeh are so short that they just circle inside the socket and makes it difficult for the dentist to pull out.It very much rather depends on your tooth itself whether you will have a simple extection or a complicated one !But don't worry ,you won't feel any pain during the extraction as it will be done under profound anaesthesia.
Do take the medication prescribed by your dentist after the extraction religiously.It IS NOT UNCOMMON TO GET FACIAL SWELLING AFTER THE EXTRACTION OF WISDOM TOOTH.IT WILL SUBSIDE ON IT'S OWN AFTER TWO-THREE DAYS FOLLOWING THE DAY OF EXTRACTION. DO APPLY ICE CUBES ON IT AS IT WILL HELP REDUCE THE SWELLING!
BEST OF LUCK

Back