• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about the healing process and food

N

nankura

Former Member
hey guys

ive done some light reading on wisdom tooth removal and i just have a few small and quick questions

- Does a wisdom tooth socket, heal from the inside and then push out like ive heard

- If food was stuck in there, would this process push it out before the wound closes naturally. and how rare is it for the wound to close with food inside. i hear horror story's, i read to much

The reason im asking this is because when i went to the dentist, they found my wisdom tooth had come out but it was basically a dead tooth and removed it

It was quick, painless, and i didnt even swell up much, it was all pretty easy and now im 11 days in and ive had the odd and very short lived sharp pain and feel like ive swallowed something, ive had this twice now over day 10 and day 11

my mum says its food and the socket pushing the food out, and that its normal, she looked and couldnt see anything unusual, said it looked healthy

the doctor didnt stitch the wound, they didnt put on sutures, they just left it as an open hole and she said it wasnt necessary and it will heal quickly due to the removal

And they didnt even give me a syringe, and i cant find one, althought i rinse with salt water everyday 3 times a day after every meal

Your mum is correct listen to here she knows what she is on about. You don't need a syringe. Rinse after eating and keep the area clean. You sound as if you are doing just fine. Yes extraction sites heal from the inside out.

If you do get pain or are worried then do contact your dentist.

Back