• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about tooth extarction, failed root canal

K

keiser

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dentist was working on a root canal and said the decay went into the bone and tooth will have to be extracted.

My question is, once the tooth is extracted can I simply leave the space empty or is an implant/single denture required?  It is a upper back tooth that is not visible when I smile.  So unless there is a good reason I would prefer not to get an expensive implant.  

Thanks for your opinions

Keiser

Re: Question about tooth extarction, failed root c

Hi, this board is only for people with a dental phobia really, quick answer: it mainly depends on whether there is an opposing tooth. If there is none, it should be ok to leave as is, if there is, an implant might be a good idea to prevent the opposing teeth from supererupting (i. e. growing outwards), which could lead to problems further down the road. But a dentist who has actually seen your mouth would be in a much better position to give definitive advice.

Back