• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question for dentists concerning dental cement

S

ScaredyCat22

To make a long story as short as possible I have been in and out of 5 temporaries and 3 permanents all on the same tooth during the past year. my tooth was healthy before it was worked on. It was crown prepped not due to decay but to be used as support for a bridge.
Every single time I am cut out of a permanent and put in a temp my excruciating cold sensitivity goes away immediately. Every time the temp is removed and I am put in a permanent the cold sensitivity comes back immediately.
the longest I have been in a permanent was 9 agonizing months. my bite was adjusted multiple times and as far as I know was finally perfect. I could chew anything without pain as long as it was hot. anything cold or even room temperature was out of the question. the second it was cut off and a temp put on the sensitivity was gone, even though my bite was way off with the temp. Can some people just plain not tolerate the permanent dental cement? no amount of sensodyne or other sensitive tooth products including prescriptions ever relieved me of the sensitivity.
the last time the dentist took my permanent off was this Wednesday and in doing so he broke off a piece of my tooth! even with my tooth broken I have no cold sensitivity in this temp, and I dread going back to be put in a permanent because the agonizing cold sensitivity comes back. what can a person do when their tooth can not tolerate the cement? I dread the thought of having this sensitivity the rest of my life. I am not even getting another bridge as I do not want to use my now broken tooth as support. I am having the tooth crowned and keeping the empty space next to it. I also do not want to root canal my tooth as it is not dead or dying or infected. I don't feel I should have to pay 1000 bucks to sit through a root canal to kill a live tooth. is there no other hope for me? is there no cement that is less irritating to teeth? can I just stay in my temporary crown?

Ok so you only get sensitivity when you're in a temporary right?
Well first things first and is the tooth healthy?
Have you had a bridge/crown which fitted first time without adjustments?
Thirdly has the dentist tried a different cement?

No I have no sensitivity at all to hot or cold in a temporary. I have excruciating sensitivity to cold every time they take the temp off and put on a permanent. It starts immediately as soon as they put it on. And no I have never had a permanent that just fit properly without needing to be adjusted. I am supposed to get this temp off this week and I don't want to because every time they put on a permanent the sensitivity bits back. The tooth is healthy though it is a miracle it has not died from the trauma of being cut out of a bridge so many times. I have only had provisional cement in temps which is fine even though it is not the sedative cement. Glass ionomer cement if I am spelling that right in the permanents.

Unusual as it is usually the opposite.
I would use a tooth desensitizing agent like glutaldehyde prior to cementation.

Of course there's always endo?

Unusual as it is usually the opposite.
I would use a tooth desensitizing agent like glutaldehyde prior to cementation.

Of course there's always endo?

I know it is usually the opposite that is why I am convinced it has to be something in the permanent cement that is irritating to my tooth. I feel fine even when a temp doesn't fit properly. I feel horrible in a permanent before the numbness even wears off when I rinse my mouth the cold hurts before I even leave the dentist office.

I would rather stay in a temporary than to get a root canal.
is glutaldehyde something all dentists have? can I ask him to do this when taking off my temporary? or can I just stay in a temporary?

I know it is usually the opposite that is why I am convinced it has to be something in the permanent cement that is irritating to my tooth. I feel fine even when a temp doesn't fit properly. I feel horrible in a permanent before the numbness even wears off when I rinse my mouth the cold hurts before I even leave the dentist office.

I would rather stay in a temporary than to get a root canal.
is glutaldehyde something all dentists have? can I ask him to do this when taking off my temporary? or can I just stay in a temporary?

I seriously doubt it's the cement. I think the most obvious reasons are either the bridge does not fit and the tooth hasn't been fully seated in place OR the bite is incorrect.

With you mentioning that the bridge had to be adjusted several times has already raised alarm bells that the bite is incorrect and will be the cause of the sensitivity.

I bet if you tried to cement the permanent bridge with the temporary cement then you will probably have the same sensitivity issues.

I seriously doubt it's the cement. I think the most obvious reasons are either the bridge does not fit and the tooth hasn't been fully seated in place OR the bite is incorrect.

With you mentioning that the bridge had to be adjusted several times has already raised alarm bells that the bite is incorrect and will be the cause of the sensitivity.

I bet if you tried to cement the permanent bridge with the temporary cement then you will probably have the same sensitivity issues.

None of my temporaries have fit well either and all have had to be bite adjusted. I understand that the tooth repeatedly getting hit too hard by a high bite can cause cold sensitivity. but my sensitivity occurs immediately the second the permanent is put on, before I have ever had a chance to eat or chew. and it goes away as soon as a permanent is cut off and a temp put back on. one of my temps the bite was so bad that I could not chew at all even on the other side, and had to go back immediately to the dentist as soon as I got home and tried to eat. but still I had no cold sensitivity. I am desperate to find a cause and solution without root canaling a tooth that isn't infected or dead. I am so afraid to let him take this temp off. I don't want to be put back in another permanent.

Back