• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question regarding multiple teeth extraction

T

TiffH

Are there general dentists who offer not only oral sedation but iv sedation as well for appointments in which multiple teeth are being extracted?
I wasnt sure if a general dentist offered these options for severe anxiety, or if that was a route that only an oral surgeon could provide.
Thank you in advance for any advice given! :)

Hi there, it depends on the dentist's (and the dental team's) education and training and the supporting facilities and equipment at the dental practice. They need to do training courses and the dentist also needs to have done a certain number of supervised cases (in the case of IV midazolam sedation 20 cases).

In the UK, IV conscious sedation using midazolam is provided in many dental practices.

I'm not sure what the requirements are elsewhere in the world.

I've attached a copy of "Standards for Conscious Sedation in the Provision of Dental Care" (2015). This document outlines all the requirements for providing dental sedation techniques in the UK.

View attachment Standards_for_Conscious_Sedation_2015.pdf

From what I’ve gathered there are general dentists out there that can do IV sedation but it’s rare. I just had all my teeth pulled and I had to go to an oral surgeon for the IV. Otherwise my regular dentist would have just numbed me up and started pulling. They can give nitrous gas though which will basically relax you but it isn’t going to help avoid pain. If I didn’t have an abnormal tolerance for the Novocain I would have just done it that way with my dentist. NORMALLY the actual extraction doesn’t hurt at all just the healing process.

My dentist is a general dentist and they do offer sedation at the practice. They have one dentist in the team who does that, so he obviously, as letsconnect explained, has done the special training that makes him able to do sedation. I also have seen few websites of general dentistry practices who offer sedation.

I have offered IV sedation utilizing multiple drugs for my entire career. I did a residency so I have a great deal more training than the minimum standard today.

Back