• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question

A

Anon

I have a question. When a dentist finds some cavities in the teeth of a patient, they check all teeth in order to make sure there are no other cavities, right?

I think if the "finding cavities" happens during an exam, then all teeth get checked and the dentist should tell you what they found. If it's more about you having pain and coming in for one tooth, they might rather focus on the tooth in need of treatment and maybe ask you to schedule an exam if they saw any other spots that might need attention.

Do you suspect your dentist might have overlooked something?

Kind of. I went because I suspected I have cavities in 2 of my lower molars and a black spot in one of my front teeth. The dentist checked and said that in addition to the two molars, I also have some other cavities on my upper molars and confirmed that the black spot in my front teeth was a cavity. Some days after that I found a gap between two of my front teeth. It is an actual gap because I shined a flashlight behind the teeth and I can clearly see the flashlight's rays (?) through the gap. There's no colour or anything. But my paranoid mind keeps telling me that it might be a cavity. I'm scared to ask because I can't go through that ordeal again. There is no pain or anything. Just my mind keeps spiralling. I think since there was some cavities that I hadn't suspected (that the dentist found), she probably had checked all my teeth, right? I can't get some peace of mind until I know for sure but I'm scared to go and ask. If she had checked all my teeth and if there actually is a cavity behind the gap, she would've mentioned it. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Back