• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question!

S

Soanxious

Hi everyone,

My dentist has me on antibiotics for a tooth infection. This is my second round, as after the first round I felt better and didn’t end up making an appointment to have treatment done as: a) I was terrified to and b) I figured I’d have a little more warning before a full blown infection popped up again. My last dose of antibiotics will be tomorrow morning.

My question is - what if the infection isn’t totally cleared when I’m done this round of antibiotics? Can dentists perform treatment (root canal or extraction, haven’t decided what I’m capable of yet) on an infected tooth? Or will my antibiotics just be renewed for another week to get it all gone? Would love to hear your experiences. Try not to scare me as I’m already freaked out about having an infection and feeling like it is an urgent matter I need to take care of, which just makes my anxiety worse feeling like I have no say in the matter.

You don't want to keep taking it. The bacteria will become resistance to future antibiotic.

The infection will never be totally cleared until you've had the tooth extracted or root treated. You should have about 6-8 weeks after this round of antibiotics before the symptoms come back.

The infection will never be totally cleared until you've had the tooth extracted or root treated. You should have about 6-8 weeks after this round of antibiotics before the symptoms come back.

After my first round of antibiotics my symptoms had cleared fully and the infection was back in 4 weeks. This time around, I still feel some symptoms after 7 days of antibiotics which is what is worrying for me.

Is there any reason you can't get the dentist to do something more definitive to the tooth? Either remove it or start a root canal?

Back