• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions about Chlorhexidine and Traxodent

A

Anne2021

I had two deep fillings placed two days ago, one with the old crown left on for tooth #14, the other a large composite on tooth #13. (I don't do root canals and the dentist warned me that we would need to wait and see how the teeth react to the work and whether these fillings will succeed or if the teeth will need to be extracted). 14 bled a lot as the decay was by or under the gum line. At the end of the appointment, she told me the gums would be sore and gave me Chlorhexidine to rinse with. In addition to the dental phobia, I have a generalized fear of medication. I avoid taking medication when I can and something like rinsing with this new item made me nervous. I haven't done it yet. Online I'm seeing it's helpful for gums maybe? What is it for? If I don't use it, am I hurting the long-term survival of the two teeth? Could I safely rinse with salt water instead if it's for gums?

Also, can you tell me anything about Traxodent? She used it during the procedure on 14. She said it was to help stop the bleeding so she could place the filling. The thing is - I have a strong fear of numbing. She did the local injection near the teeth, but it was not enough to numb the teeth. She offered a palatal injection, but my memory of that was strongly negative and I refused. This meant that though what I got helped some, I experienced moderate pain during the fillings procedure - by my own choice. Pain is preferable to numbing in that palate to me. It was significantly unpleasant, but tolerable. What concerns me is that the most painful part was the Traxodent. It hurt a lot like it was burning my tooth. It was the only time I had to speak up and ask how much more painful it would get because it basically felt like acid. Once I spoke up, she did rinse it off, at which point it felt better, and she seemed satisfied that it was on long enough to do what she wanted it to do. What is this stuff? How can it burn like acid like that and not be harmful to the tooth? is this something commonly used?

Chlorhexidine is a very well proven antiseptic. It will be more helpful for your gums than salt water, it's probably not essential if you don't want to use it.

Traxodent is a compound that both stops bleeding (an astringent) and pushes gum tissue out of the way. It isn't harmful to anything. This product and variants of it are used fairly commonly.

@Gordon Thank you for your reply. It helps me.

Back