• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions about extractions

Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy

So my first appointment is for extractions now I’m not sure what to expect but I do have questions about what to expect like how much pain will I have do they sew up the gums or leave them open what is dry socket sorry for not making any sense but my anxiety is ramping up again

How many and where in your mouth?

Everything with red lines threw it is getting extracted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
I had 14 extractions but mine were mostly not molars. I had only 10 mgs Valium before the appointment and then just the local. I have to say there were numerous injections which was biggest fear. Probably more than 10-12! I didn’t feel a thing. The first shot was a little pinch then nothing. All 14 were out within a few minutes. From the time I sat in the chair to when I was picked up was an hour. No pain afterwards but I strictly followed the instructions for the pain meds. I even set an alarm during the night so I could stay ahead of it. Best thing is to have a signal with your dentist that if you are having any pain during the procedure or just need a break he is aware. You will be fine. The worry before hand is 100 times worse than the extractions or healing. Please keep us updated snd I will be thinking of you.

I had 14 extractions but mine were mostly not molars. I had only 10 mgs Valium before the appointment and then just the local. I have to say there were numerous injections which was biggest fear. Probably more than 10-12! I didn’t feel a thing. The first shot was a little pinch then nothing. All 14 were out within a few minutes. From the time I sat in the chair to when I was picked up was an hour. No pain afterwards but I strictly followed the instructions for the pain meds. I even set an alarm during the night so I could stay ahead of it. Best thing is to have a signal with your dentist that if you are having any pain during the procedure or just need a break he is aware. You will be fine. The worry before hand is 100 times worse than the extractions or healing. Please keep us updated snd I will be thinking of you.
Thank you so much I’ve been up all night thinking about it

@mikey boy once you have local if that is what you have elected for ? A lot of people choose sedation for so many extractions but it come at a cost . you wont feel anything except perhaps slight pressure and this is mainly the dentist leaning on you . What date do u have this done ?

@mikey boy once you have local if that is what you have elected for ? A lot of people choose sedation for so many extractions but it come at a cost . you wont feel anything except perhaps slight pressure and this is mainly the dentist leaning on you . What date do u have this done ?
Well the first set of extractions are done on April 5th I’m actually going in the day before to get some Valium to keep me calm during the procedure

I think for starters they’re only doing three extractions because it’s three teeth that they really wanna get removed because they have the most problems and then we’re doing the other six on another day

@mikey boy

The valium will calm you totally . Well done u will feel so good once done

I really wish my anxiety would just calm down a little I’ve been sitting outside on my back porch thinking about my first procedure all day ?

@mikey boy
I have same anxiety so you are not alone. I am only non anxious after a wine or when asleep :) Honestly the valium will calm you for the procedure.

Back