• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

questions about fillings and root canals

H

hiccupod

Next week, I have to go in for a filling on Tuesday and then a root canal, crown and filling on Thursday. I am EXTREMELY nervous, of course, and really don't know what to expect. So here are my questions. Can anybody with experience answer them for me so I feel like I know more what to expect? (even if I should expect major pain, I'd rather know going in than not)

1. Does getting fillings hurt?

2. How bad is it really getting a root canal? A lot of pain? Soreness? Discomfort? If someone can walk me through the process, that would be great.

3. Do they usually offer some kind of sedation for root canals? IV or something else? Or do they just numb the area? (they said I could drive myself, so I'm thinking there's no sedation...which is nerve-racking)

4. What's the after-procedure like for root canals? i.e. can I eat/drink just fine that day? Do I need to wait to eat solid foods? Will I be bleeding/in pain?

5. How long do these procedures take? I'm assuming a root canal takes a lot longer than a filling.

6. Do you keep your mouth open yourself, or do they have some device that helps you keep it open? Do they use that suction thing? I don't know why, but these little things are of a huge concern to me.

1. Fillings do not hurt. Take that further, no dental procedure should hurt. There may be times when its uncomfortable, but nothing more.

2. A root is just a 'big filling'. It will not hurt (point 1). It is more complex than a filling, takes a little more time and a bit more 'fumbling about', but its just a filling. My last root took me about 20-25 mins or so. The only discomfort was keeping my mouth reallty wide for so long.

3. If you feel you need sedation, then ask for it. Normally, I don't think it would be offered, except maybe nitrous if its available. But if you feel you would be happier to have it, then ask the dentist what your options are.

4. It may be a bit tender afterwards when the LA wears off and may take a little time to settle down. There is usually no reason why would cannot eat normally after a couple of hours (at least when the LA's wear off). As for pain, there shoud be none.

5. Depends. Mine was 20-25 mins. May take longer.

6. You do keep your mouth open and I have not heard of using a wedge of anykind (someone may correct me here). As for the sucky thing, that is there to keep saliva out the way and to suck up any debris and bits as the tooth is prepared and filled.

As Graham says so long as you are properly numb, it will be totally painless. if you do feel any pain, alert your dentist so they can give you more local anaesthetic.
Root canals do take longer than fillings - depending on the tooth could be anywhere from what Graham said to 60 to 90 minutes. If it is a molar, it takes longer as there is more than one canal.
You can use a removable bite block to help keep your mouth open without straining your jaw joint but you don't have to..it is your choice. Some dentists offer them some don't.

For the root canal they should put a rubber dam on your tooth, it is a bad sign if they don't do this since it makes it much more likely that the treatment will fail if your tooth is not isolated from saliva during the process. Think of the dam as a raincoat which you hide under lol :hidesbehindsofa:! Rubber dams are actually quite pleasant as they make it easy for you to swallow whenever you want and stop stuff/liquids going in your mouth as per a filling.

Although root canals take awhile, they can also be relaxing since there is not much noise while the dentist is handfiling...not rushing means they are taking great care to do it properly. Some people report 'nodding off' during (me included).

If you have no issues with the above so long as you don't feel pain, then you probably do not need sedation. It is not supposed to hurt so if it does tell them so they can put things right. :grouphug:

Thank you guys for this wonderful stuff! Your experiences and knowledge are making my anxiety less and less. I'm sure I'll still freak out this week before the procedures, but hopefully knowing what's to come will make it that much easier to deal with. :XXLhug:

I have one final question: I was talking about the root canals with a friend, and she mentioned that her mom got dry sockets after one of hers were done. I wasn't even aware this WAS a complication of root canals (since they fill the canals after, right?), so of course that had me panicking, since my sister had horrible dry sockets after she got her wisdom teeth removed and I don't fancy being in that kind of pain after.

Anyway, are dry sockets common/possible after root canals? :confused:

It sounds like your friend got mixed up (or that she picked up whatever her mum said incorrectly) :) - dry socket is not a possible complication of root treatment.

OH THANK GOD. I had quelled most of my anxiety until that point. Thank you so much for clearing that up! I'm wondering if maybe her mom had a wisdom tooth pulled or some other issue at the same time she went in for her root canal and hence the mixup.

Again, thanks. Less than 24 hours to my first filling appointment and trying to quell the remainder of these nonsense nerves.

Back