• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions about my wisdom extractions

R

RobF353

My story starts about 2 weeks ago. I woke up and noticed a piece of my top right wisdom tooth broke off. I didn't go to the dentist right away but I went a few days later.

So I went to the dentist on June 2nd. when I got to the dentist he took an xray of the top tooth and my bottom wisdom tooth on the same side. he said the one that chipped off had an outside fracture and the bottom one was coming in crooked under my gum. he said the top one had to come out no matter what and he recommends the bottom one coming out also even though I told him it never gave me any discomfort.

the top one came out no problem after he numb my gum. since the bottom one was under the gum line he had a cup of gum and then remove the tooth which was a little more work and a little more painful.

he didn't stitch the top one but he did put stitches in the bottom one. Is that normal to do? Maybe he only stitched the bottom one because he cut the gum open?

He said come back in 2 weeks to remove the stitches. he also gave me a paper with some recovery tips, which I have been following.

The first day it took awhile for it to stop bleeding but it eventually did. I took my pain killers and other media he gave me. I stopped taking the pain killers a few days later because most of the pain went away and I didn't like the feeling the pain meds gave me.

I ate soft foods, soup, yogurt, etc. I started to rinse and brush on day 2 or 3 and have been doing so ever since.

Now to my concerns, I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or not, so I decided to post here.

1 - the inside of my cheek is swollen, red and maybe a little scratched. Is that from the procedure or did I do that when I was still numb? Also, when I look at my bottom extraction, I see some stitches, but since my inside cheek swollen, I can't see too much. How should the site be looking at this point, 5 days after extraction.

2 - am I helping correctly? I've seen some white substance around the bottom site and have read that is good.

At this point, I'm just a little swollen and sore. Is everything healing up fine?

Thanks!

I also feel like my tounge is constantly in the way. Maybe it's a little swollen also?

When I bite down gently, I feel almost like a sharp pains in my teeth. Is that because I'm still healing and sensitive?

Can someone give me some info? I've been thinking about this all day, and no replies yet.

I had mine out a couple of weeks ago. I would say the pain / swelling took a week to subside for me (took painkillers for a week)and the white stuff you describe sounds normal.

My story starts about 2 weeks ago. I woke up and noticed a piece of my top right wisdom tooth broke off. I didn't go to the dentist right away but I went a few days later.

So I went to the dentist on June 2nd. when I got to the dentist he took an xray of the top tooth and my bottom wisdom tooth on the same side. he said the one that chipped off had an outside fracture and the bottom one was coming in crooked under my gum. he said the top one had to come out no matter what and he recommends the bottom one coming out also even though I told him it never gave me any discomfort.

the top one came out no problem after he numb my gum. since the bottom one was under the gum line he had a cup of gum and then remove the tooth which was a little more work and a little more painful.

he didn't stitch the top one but he did put stitches in the bottom one. Is that normal to do? Maybe he only stitched the bottom one because he cut the gum open?

He said come back in 2 weeks to remove the stitches. he also gave me a paper with some recovery tips, which I have been following.

The first day it took awhile for it to stop bleeding but it eventually did. I took my pain killers and other media he gave me. I stopped taking the pain killers a few days later because most of the pain went away and I didn't like the feeling the pain meds gave me.

I ate soft foods, soup, yogurt, etc. I started to rinse and brush on day 2 or 3 and have been doing so ever since.

Now to my concerns, I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or not, so I decided to post here.

1 - the inside of my cheek is swollen, red and maybe a little scratched. Is that from the procedure or did I do that when I was still numb? Also, when I look at my bottom extraction, I see some stitches, but since my inside cheek swollen, I can't see too much. How should the site be looking at this point, 5 days after extraction.

2 - am I helping correctly? I've seen some white substance around the bottom site and have read that is good.

At this point, I'm just a little swollen and sore. Is everything healing up fine?

Thanks!

Everything you're describing is super normal. Five days after the extraction, it's still going to look scratched and swollen. I'd say I looked that way for another couple of weeks. Plus, the white substance is also part of the healing process; it's granulation tissue.

I also feel like my tounge is constantly in the way. Maybe it's a little swollen also?

When I bite down gently, I feel almost like a sharp pains in my teeth. Is that because I'm still healing and sensitive?

It's going to be sensitive and hurt for a bit. It's all the healing process. Like I said in my previous post, nothing sounds out of the ordinary to me!

Thanks, that gives me a sense of relief!

So I had my 2 wisdom teeth taken out 8 days ago. Just about all pain is gone, I'm just still a little stuff in my jaw.

I'm scheduled to go back in 7 days from today to get my stitches removed.

However, I don't think I send the loose end of the stitch anymore. Is this normal? Also, will I bleed again after the stitches are removed or is the bleeding/healing process just about over besides the long term bone healing process?

Back