• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions about wisdom tooth removed

P

PamL

Hi there, I am new to this site, I am so glad I found it :)

I have alot of anxiety issues and alot of health anxiety too :( My question is about an upper left erupted wisdom tooth I had removed. I had it removed on Monday afternoon, so I am 45 hrs in! I am just wondering whether or not I should be using the salt water rinse that I read about on here. My dentist didn't give me any at home instructions other than to keep the gauze in for 1/2 hr & replace as necessary, till bleeding stops, which I didn't have to do, when I did remove the gauze there was very minimal blood on it (maybe the size of a dime) so very thankful for that. nothing to painful at present, just minor aches & other teeth as well hurt? I am wondering if he didn't give my any at home instructions cuz it went very smoothly & easy. He said it was a small wisdom with only 1 root! I was also wondering when I can drink coffee again, should I be ok now? And at what point is the extraction site completely healed? When can i eat normally on both sided again without having to worry about the extraction spot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

WOW! Pam you just helped me so much. I too am having the same tooth removed in about 10 days. Upper fully erupted too. I have ALL the same issues as you and I am horrified. I am thinking, just my two cents, that your tooth is all right and really requires no care. I hope that is. I am doing the salt water rinse the next day I hear that is helps with swelling and inflammation. I would think you are out of the woods for a dry socket because it is usually after 72 hours. How was the procedure itself? Did you feel like your throat was going to close up? I was told not as strong with uppers because they only numb the tooth and the gum unlike the lowers. As for eating and drinking, the instructions they gave me are as long as you do not drink from astraw, you are allowed to eat and drink but maybe try to avoid the area for at least a week. Thanks again!

Hi there, I am new to this site, I am so glad I found it :)

I have alot of anxiety issues and alot of health anxiety too :( My question is about an upper left erupted wisdom tooth I had removed. I had it removed on Monday afternoon, so I am 45 hrs in! I am just wondering whether or not I should be using the salt water rinse that I read about on here. My dentist didn't give me any at home instructions other than to keep the gauze in for 1/2 hr & replace as necessary, till bleeding stops, which I didn't have to do, when I did remove the gauze there was very minimal blood on it (maybe the size of a dime) so very thankful for that. nothing to painful at present, just minor aches & other teeth as well hurt? I am wondering if he didn't give my any at home instructions cuz it went very smoothly & easy. He said it was a small wisdom with only 1 root! I was also wondering when I can drink coffee again, should I be ok now? And at what point is the extraction site completely healed? When can i eat normally on both sided again without having to worry about the extraction spot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

WOW! Pam you just helped me so much. I too am having the same tooth removed in about 10 days. Upper fully erupted too. I have ALL the same issues as you and I am horrified. I am thinking, just my two cents, that your tooth is all right and really requires no care. I hope that is. I am doing the salt water rinse the next day I hear that is helps with swelling and inflammation. I would think you are out of the woods for a dry socket because it is usually after 72 hours. How was the procedure itself? Did you feel like your throat was going to close up? I was told not as strong with uppers because they only numb the tooth and the gum unlike the lowers. As for eating and drinking, the instructions they gave me are as long as you do not drink from astraw, you are allowed to eat and drink but maybe try to avoid the area for at least a week. Thanks again!

Hi Hartsada, thanks for replying, it gets disheartening when u see all the views to your post but no one replies? It has now been 5 days & I am doing awesome. The procedure itself was fine. The only time my throat felt weird was when the dentist put some topical ointment on my gums before he put the needle in. A little bit went down my throat I guess, I just needed to swallow some water & the sensation went away. It was a very easy procedure, I felt no pain, just a little bit of pressure & my tooth was out within a few minutes :) Afterwards there was only a little discomfort for a few days, but nothing that needed any pain killers. Now at day 5, I am more wondering when I can brush that area with my toothbrush & I also wonder when I can eat on that side of my mouth again? This tip toeing around that area of my mouth is getting to be a real pain :(

Last edited:
Hi Hartsada, thanks for replying, it gets disheartening when u see all the views to your post but no one replies? It has now been 5 days & I am doing awesome. The procedure itself was fine. The only time my throat felt weird was when the dentist put some topical ointment on my gums before he put the needle in. A little bit went down my throat I guess, I just needed to swallow some water & the sensation went away. It was a very easy procedure, I felt no pain, just a little bit of pressure & my tooth was out within a few minutes :) Afterwards there was only a little discomfort for a few days, but nothing that needed any pain killers. Now at day 5, I am more wondering when I can brush that area with my toothbrush & I also wonder when I can eat on that side of my mouth again? This tip toeing around that area of my mouth is getting to be a real pain :(
I thought by now you could already but very gentle. I'm like you as to making sure it's not too soon. I know for sure you can eat on that side as long as not nuts, chips or anything rough. My dentist did tell me that last week because I was going to do it before Thanksgiving so I wanted to eat all the food. But I decided to wait one more week. I remember that feeling from the numbing lotion and the feeling I had for a lower filling. It did go away after a few. Was your tooth cracked? Mine is and that is the whole reason I need to get it done :cry::cry::cry:. But it's afterwards that scares me more. Thanks for your encouraging words.

I thought by now you could already but very gentle. I'm like you as to making sure it's not too soon. I know for sure you can eat on that side as long as not nuts, chips or anything rough. My dentist did tell me that last week because I was going to do it before Thanksgiving so I wanted to eat all the food. But I decided to wait one more week. I remember that feeling from the numbing lotion and the feeling I had for a lower filling. It did go away after a few. Was your tooth cracked? Mine is and that is the whole reason I need to get it done :cry::cry::cry:. But it's afterwards that scares me more. Thanks for your encouraging words.

I am afraid to eat on the side of extraction cuz of food getting in there & getting stuck! I read on here that people say it takes 2-3 weeks for the gums to heal over :( ..if food gets stuck in there it might get infected!? I wish a dentist would read this & give some insight :(
No my tooth wasn't cracked, but it was a bit decayed. Dentist said he wasn't surprised of the decay, cuz he could hardly see it so far back there & that he said how could I possibly brush it well. You will be fine afterwards :) I was told that upper wisdom's are easier to get out, easier to freeze & are less likely to get dry socket!

Can can you call the dentist Monday? I would what you are doing. Always better to be safe then sorry. I'm not using a straw for a month because of the dry socket fear. Mine is cracked and decayed. Strange thing is no spin at all unless I touch it or food gets in there. I know I'm living on luck because it could get bad..:(:(. So it's time. Thanks for your help. I have to say I'm disappointed that no one has responded to my post and more so that no one did for you. That's not like them. 19 days and counting gulp....:cry:

I am afraid to eat on the side of extraction cuz of food getting in there & getting stuck! I read on here that people say it takes 2-3 weeks for the gums to heal over :( ..if food gets stuck in there it might get infected!? I wish a dentist would read this & give some insight :(
No my tooth wasn't cracked, but it was a bit decayed. Dentist said he wasn't surprised of the decay, cuz he could hardly see it so far back there & that he said how could I possibly brush it well. You will be fine afterwards :) I was told that upper wisdom's are easier to get out, easier to freeze & are less likely to get dry socket!

Back