• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions from wisdom tooth extraction today

C

coopercharlie

hi, I had IV sedation today to remove a wisdom tooth that was a lower impacted. Easy op but this is the 2nd time I had IV Sedation (different dentist) and this time I could hear nearly everything but felt strange, no pain, it just wasn't as pleasant experience as I had last time. I think this new dentist used Fentanyl as well as Midazolam whereas last time I had Midazolam only. I'm guessing that the Fentanyl didn't agree with me to make me feel strange & be able to hear most of what went on including conversations with the dentist & nurses or what else could it be? I went home & felt slight agitation too, not the pleasant dreamy state I went home with just Midazolam. Anyway, glad it's out but I noticed something was rubbing against the inside of my mouth & saw it was one of the stitches, it's like stitched in a really weird spot behind the tooth next to the lower back wizzie, I would have thought that I'd have stitches on top of that area but it's like really close to the other tooth and it's annoying. I'm sure they're dissolvable so they'll go away soon? Thanks for answering my queries above.

Yours is a good example of what I tell all of my patients. Drug tolerance varies greatly from person to person and the way we find out is by giving you a drug and seeing what happens. The best thing you can do is to keep track of what drugs you have had good or bad and details to how they affected you. This is a very useful history to whomever is prescribing.

I had IV sedation twice last year for removals and the first time I had it I remembered nothing of the procedure and still don't to this day.
The second time I had issues with the IV going into my hand (they couldn't find a vein on one hand so had to use the other and even then it took several attempts!) but I definately felt more..."awake" so to speak and I recall a conversation between the nurse and dentist being held during the procedure. I pretty much remembered the whole thing for the rest of that day but after that I don't really remember anything...so maybe that'll happen to you, as time goes on you'll forget. As mentioned people have different tolerances so maybe what worked before wasn't quite enough this time for whatever reason. Don't let it put you off sedation though...not sure where I'd be without it!
As for the stitches I had an awkward one too, though they should dissolve on their own accord, if I remember correctly about a week or so.
When I had my wisdom out last year mine took a while to heal, though I was more concerned about the swelling and looking like I had just been in a fight due to the large bruise on my jaw! Not the best look for a pharmacy tech lol.
Hope your healing goes smoothly though if any probs definately get it checked out just in case.

Last edited:
Back