• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Quick way to dissolve provisional cement

E

Elisax

Hi! Maybe someone has an advice for me :)

I've recently had some major dental work done and I have a superior bridge that was glued with provisional cement eight weeks and a half ago. Meanwhile the dentist has worked on the inferior part and glued with provisional cement the inferior bridge two - three weeks ago. Since the bite and everything else has been ok in these last weeks, we had an appointment to take off the bridges and apply permanent cement.

For about 40 minutes, the dentist tried to remove the bridges , but she couldn't. So, we have an appointment for next week when she'll try again. In normal conditions, I wouldn't have problems waiting several weeks or months, but I'm moving 700 km at the end of June, something they knew since we started this dental work in January. So, I'm wondering if there is any way for me to help dissolve this provisional cement or any other safe way to intervene.

My second problem is that I've noticed that she chipped away a bit of the ceramics on one of the canines. It's close to the gum, but you can still see it. These news made my dental technician very nervous, saying that when she repairs the bridge, she'll need to put it in the oven, and since the superior bridge has been inside my mouth for a bit more than two months, the material has come in contact with substances and it might behave differently in the oven, and it might get ruined, so I might need a new bridge then.

Now I don't know how to approach my dentist next week. If she hadn't chipped away some of the ceramics, I would have told her that I prefer to wait the time it takes for this provisional cement to dissolve itself, but since the reparation is urgent, according to my dental technician, I think that the dentist should do her best to remove it as soon as possible.

So, I guess, my question is if there is a safe way to accelerate dissolving the provisional cement that I could practise at home? Or would dental floss help if I move it gently around the teeth?

Thank you.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I have a temporary crown on my molar right now. I had it put on before a root canal treatment was done, so the dentist used some kind of strong smelling liquid (one or two drops) on some kind of small tool (it was awhile ago) that instantly loosened the cement. So I'm assuming there is some kind of chemical to use to take care of it.

I also hate this "well I broke it but you'll have to pay for a new one" mentality among dentists. Not all will do that, but if she damaged your bridge then she should be responsible for replacing it - not you. Can you ask her if she can put some kind of putty on the broken spot instead of trying to fix the whole thing up??

Sorry for not being able to share more - I haven't had a bridge done so I'm not really sure if it is any different from a crown.

Thank you, Angel. Your post is very helpful. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the substance your dentist used to loosen up the cement? Anyway, I'll ask my dentist about it, hopefully she'll find something.

Apparently the ceramic is liquid and it can easily be applied with a brush, but in order for the ceramic to become solid and blend in, it needs to be put in the oven, and if the bridge has been functioning for more than two or three weeks, it can very easily get ruined and some kind of bubbles can appear, if I understood the dental technician correctly.

I'll talk with the dental technician and the dentist next week again and hopefully all will be solved without any complications. I also think that it is the dentist's responibility to fix it. Thx again.

Thank you, Angel. Your post is very helpful. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the substance your dentist used to loosen up the cement? Anyway, I'll ask my dentist about it, hopefully she'll find something.

Sorry I don't know the name - I just know it was a clear, strong smelling liquid - that instantly dissolved the cement. Not every dentist uses it - so far I've had to have the temp taken off three times - and only 1 dentist used that ingredient to get it off. It's just good to know it is out there - if your dentist was haven't a hard time getting yours off I'm surprised she didn't use that.

Apparently the ceramic is liquid and it can easily be applied with a brush, but in order for the ceramic to become solid and blend in, it needs to be put in the oven, and if the bridge has been functioning for more than two or three weeks, it can very easily get ruined and some kind of bubbles can appear, if I understood the dental technician correctly.

Unless it's a different material, the cement stuff should be able to be dried while in your mouth using a UV light source. My dentist puts some kind of tool that emits the light to dry it after a few seconds - no need to put it in an oven. So you might want to meet with a different dentist and get a second opinion. I know they usually have to just warn you just in case, but I would be pretty peeved if it got ruined after I had paid all that money for it.

You're right, there might be more options to this. I hope they'll find a happy solution and I'll post it. Thank you.

Temporary cement on a "permanent" crown or bridge is very tricky as this can be the result. I would have you eat very sticky taffy and things like that as it is best pulled off in that direction but ask your dentist first.

Back