• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Racing heart

D

DentalFearsAmber

A lot of you (myself included) are generally afraid of the dentist. However even when I'm calm the novacaine injections cause my heart to race. It started with an extraction that cause my heart to POUND out of my chest for like 3 minutes. That is a possible reaction and really nothing to worry about. Since then I've had one injection that caused nothing, another injection for 2 more extractions that caused it to race a little due to anxiety but I was okay with it (I wear a hoodie and put a ice pack in the pocket to hang on to.. calms me down) NOW, I have deep gum cleaning to do! Forgot my ice pack for my first appointment last week. I did NOT know I was getting that many injections! She poked the top left back I was fine. Then proceeded to poke me two more times over that upper left side like 2 teeth spaces apart. Okay getting pretty anxious here. By the time she got to the second poke at the bottom I'm SHAKING uncontrollably. She took my blood pressure and kept asking about what my blood pressure was at the doctor's (idk!) She was very calm and understanding she had someone bring me an ice pack rather then leaving me alone to go get it (yay for her!) She eventually sat me up and I calmed down. I struggled to keep my cool throughout the cleaning but I did. Now here's the thing this is split up in 2 appointments so I have to go through this again. Would it be ridiculous to ask for this right side to be split up into 2 appointments (so 3 in total rather then 2) I don't think I can go through that again. It's too much! Also do earphones really help? Maybe listen to a podcast? Any other tips?

@DentalFearsAmber Have you explained your reaction to the dentist? They often use local anesthetic with epinephrine and that could be accounting for your reaction. I was diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) years ago and was told by the doctor to tell the dentist to never use epinephrine on me. I have done that since and have no problem with the epinephrine-free anesthetic. The ones with epinephrine are supposed to last longer, but I have had extractions with epinephrine-free and I get numbed up just fine and for long enough with no issues. The one they use on me is Mepivacaine (also goes by the name Carbocaine - one is the brand name - don't remember which). I have severe phobia and heart rate issues and this works very well. You shouldn't have to go through this. Your dentist should be open to using epinephrine-free anesthetic.

@Anne2021 thanks for responding! So when it came time for the second extractions I mentioned this is at my new (current) dentist. I said about the reaction and he just said it happens sometimes and proceeded about the procedure. My dentist is a woman but she's very tiny and so the dentist who does the extractions is a big guy. I won't have to see him but one other time. I will ask about this after my insurance issues are taken care of tomorrow. (Delta dental sucks so bad for me!)

@DentalFearsAmber You're welcome! I'm sorry the dentist who does the extractions brushed off your concerns and didn't address them, especially when there is a solution. I hope they help you out going forward and that things go well for you.

@Anne2021 great news! The doctor put me on Propranolol due to migraines. It's a beta blocker. I googled it with dental work and seen it was a problem. So, I called my dentist and it can react to epinephrine sometimes so to be on the safe side they will not use epinephrine period on me anymore! I didn't even have to ask! 😀 I feel so relieved!!

@DentalFearsAmber That's wonderful! Drug interactions can definitely be bad news. I'm so glad you don't have to be concerned about that happening anymore! :)

I’m glad things are better.

Keep us posted.

@Dg6300 @Anne2021
So, I got there a little late. I ensured she was going to use the epi free one. (thankfully I said something because she was just going to use a lower amount) she ended up only doing the lower right side rather then the top AND bottom in one go (because I was late) I had some anxiety going into it as always but I totally LOVED it! By the time I walked out of there I wasn't even numb! It completely wore off. The hours of endless numbness is definitely something that bothers me sensory wise. There was some discomfort as it was starting to ware off towards the end but I chose some topical jelly rather then another shot. I feel like within the next few appointments I might not have any anxiety at all!

@DentalFearsAmber This is such great news!!! I'm glad you said something so that she didn't use the one with epinephrine. We really do have to advocate for ourselves when it comes to health care. To think you might not have any anxiety going forward is amazing! Congratulations!

Back