• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ran into my dentist in public...strange.

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone ever been out and about and crossed paths with their dentist? I was out having dinner tonight and I ran into my dental receptionist in the front of the restaurant while waiting for a table. Well it turns out the dentist was having dinner with a bunch of family/friends and was there too. I had to pass their table to use the restroom and she recognized me and she said hello and asked me how I was, and how school was going, etc. It felt so strange seeing her out of the dental environment, I wasn't sure what to think! lol It's funny how you become accustomed to certain circumstances and environments and then they get mixed up and your brain can't make sense of it. I have to admit though, it was nice to see her out as a regular person, instead of hovering over me with dental tools in scrubs, gloves, and a face mask. Anyways, that's just an odd experience I thought I'd share! :)

Kitkat

Hmm...just realized I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum! Forgive me, it's a combo of sleep deprivation and too much caffeine to blame.... Moderators, can this please be moved to either the "2 cents worth" or "support" section please? Thanks!

Kitkat

no problem,
someone once told me dentist's are people too, hmmmmm, guess you have some proof of that phenomenon. :rolleyes:

no problem,
someone once told me dentist's are people too, hmmmmm, guess you have some proof of that phenomenon. :rolleyes:

Yeah, who knew?! I guess sometimes you have to see it, to believe it! ;) jk.

Ha ha... that is funny. Atleast she spoke to you and was polite and didn't look at you awkwardly. :redface:

Ha ha... that is funny. Atleast she spoke to you and was polite and didn't look at you awkwardly. :redface:

Haha! Very true, if that were the case, I may have had to switch dentists after dinner (although I probably looked at her awkwardly :redface: ). I wonder how often that actually happens to them ??? I just had an appointment with her last week but neither of us decided to speak of our surprise encounter.

Haha! Very true, if that were the case, I may have had to switch dentists after dinner (although I probably looked at her awkwardly :redface: ). I wonder how often that actually happens to them ??? I just had an appointment with her last week but neither of us decided to speak of our surprise encounter.

You're lucky then. This has happened to me twice....first time dentist tried to ignore me but her partner acknowledged me since he also worked there on reception sometimes. Second time I avoided acknowledging dentist (because I didn't want to make a fool of myself for some reason - dumb I know) and then they brought it up at my next appt. (Different dentists involved here)

I have a friend who is a medical doctor who says her policy is to always acknowledge the patient if it looks like they want her to i.e. are looking in her direction. Some of her patients are also friends too.

I don't think I'd ignore my current dentist in public as the relationship feels so relaxed and informal, it would be rude to do that. I can understand your almost panicked reaction though.

One tip if you are in a group..make it easy for the doctor/dentist by not expecting them to come up with exact names for the whole family e.g. hey (Insert child's name) and (insert child's name) look who's here, it's X our dentist/doctor.

I have met my own GP in a cafe twice and he has always instigated a chat with me and the kids. The first time we made my youngest kid work out who he was 'out of context' and it took him a while lol.

I must live in a small town (I don't) because I also often meet my podiatrist out and about lol...she always chats.

Yes medics/dentists/podiatrists/teachers are HUMAN too, when they dare to venture out into the world of potential patients/pupils.

Wow, this happens to you a lot Brit! In my case, I had initially tried to ignore the receptionist who continued to stare at me in the waiting area until my mother acknowledged her (actually thinking she was somebody else! haha). Then because I had already acknowledged the receptionist, I by association, had to acknowledge the dentist who I passed by later on. I am pretty informal and relaxed with my dentist as well, but the whole situation was still odd...perhaps because she knows a less-secure, vulnerable side of me that most other people don't get to see. I guess my thinking is "hey if I act like a fool in front of the dentist, no big deal! I'm only going to see this person, here in this context/environment." Then I see her out of context in a new general enviroment and my whole strategy is a Fail because in this social context I'm now just a foolish person/social peer and no longer a foolish, fearful patient therfore, inducing an almost panic reaction (even though realistically, having dental anxiety is not foolish and is justified and common).

I love running into teachers out and about, I find it fascinating to see people's "alter egos" :)! A couple of years ago I ran into a professor out and about who I often clashed with in class. I ended up running into her at a theme park and saw her playing with her 4 year old daughter...it totally changed my perception of her from just seeing her maternal side. I gave her a second chance and tried to get to know her better after that and we really hit it off. Turns out we work great together and I assist her in research now. Prior to that I always saw her as rude and condescending but with a little one-on-one communication and mutual understanding all was well....if I hadn't seen a potential for her being nice though, I would have never bothered to pursue it.

You sure do have the knack for running into your doctors, Brit! I've never run into my dentist. I wouldn't mind if I did, but it probably would be a little odd at first. When I taught preschool and would see any of the kids out in public, they seemed shocked that I was a "real" person outside of school and that * gasp* I actually did shopping at the same store their family did. I think those types of interactions can strengthen the bond/trust and be quite humorous as well.

I think those types of interactions can strengthen the bond/trust and be quite humorous as well.

Most definitely! ^_^

Once with an Oral Surgeon who is a jerk - when I worked in a grocery store he and his family came to my line and they all looked like they were very unhappy people. No eye contact or anything - glad he is no longer my OS

- I found an ex-dentist of mine's Facebook profile. Not his personal profile but his "Fan page." I looked at their photos and all of his staff were posing with him at bars in very provocative poses, (despite him being married with 2 young kids) his "girls" aka his staff were sitting all over him with their butts in his face and he looked like he was enjoying it too. Sure it looked fun but it also looked really unprofessional. Their FB name was something like "Dr S******** and The Dental DIVAS"

I've run into one of his "divas" (but not him) and what do you know - it was at a bar and she was being pretty inappropriate.

It (his FB page) disgusted me - he was one of the dentists who pretty called me a freak. Unfortunately he is my area's most accredited dentist. He has a HUGE EGO. I think a lot of his accreditations are just for advertising purposes.

On the flipside I have met up with other doctors of mine and they are usually very friendly.

Last edited:
Hiya. I`m a dentist and I`ve lived and worked in small communities - and it`s just the same but t`other way round! I`m also aware that people look at me oddly in the supermarket because they are not sure where they know me from. Also please don`t be offended if a dentist seems to ignore you in public, it`s just that you only have one dentist, but they may have several thousand patients!

Haha! Thanks for the insight into the other perspective Dr. John! I actually worked in a Pharmacy for a couple of years and had a lot of regulars so I know about that "where do I know you from?" look that you get when you're out and about.

Camisado, it sounds like you have not had much luck in the area of nice and friendly dentists/oral surgeons. I hope you have been able to find one of the good ones out there, preferably a humble one!

Camisado, it sounds like you have not had much luck in the area of nice and friendly dentists/oral surgeons. I hope you have been able to find one of the good ones out there, preferably a humble one!

I did find a dentist I am comfortable with :)
I'll share him whenever his office rebuilds from a fire.

For some odd reason a lot of *my* area's "best dentists" are really, really vain. In fact one of the arrogant dentists is so .... weird and vain.... that her website features a phot of her dressed up LIKE A TOOTH FAIRY.

What the heck! https://dramberdentistry.com

She is also dressed up like a moron in her commercials which appear on my local tv stations. I dunno whether to be afraid or just laugh..... :ROFLMAO: :hidesbehindsofa: :oops:

Whoa!!! That picture was even more strange than I had imagined when I opened the link! LOL It did make me laugh, just in more of a nervous and uncomfortable way! It's a shame because from the actual words on her website, she seems like a great dentist who is very kind and gentle, but the picture just totally cancels it out with the "weird factor". I don't think I could go to a dentist dressed like a tooth fairy...it sounds ridiculous just saying that sentence! haha!
I'm glad to hear that you have found one that you like. I can't believe your dentist's office burnt down though!!! what are the odds?!

I got lucky, I picked my dentist off of the insurance plan page without prior investigation (actually my mother did). My way of picking a dentist is "let's not and say we did!" so she had to do the choosing, but the dentist turned out to be excellent. She does not specialize in phobics (I'm not actually phobic, I'm very anxious) and does not really advertise but she's the best dentist I've ever had. Just goes to show that sometimes the quiet ones are better than the ones with the fancy commercials and websites! It's more of a gamble though! ;)

WOW - the bright red lipstick is weird as well.

Almost as weird as the Star Trek themed dental office!

This might sound a bit weird but on the occassions when I have left the dental practice after being a bit of a gibbering wreck, I have often thought that it would be good to run into my dentist in "real-life", just so he might be able to see that in other situations I am actually completely normal and (I think) quite a nice person - of course, if it ever did happen there's always the chance that the surprise could turn me back into the wreck - so probably not so good after all.

Just goes to show though that despite previous indications and perceived evidence to the contrary, my fear is not of the dentist himself, as a person, but of the dental setting. It is, I think, an important distinction!

I never thought about the dentist getting to see me as a regular person but that actually makes a lot of sense. I actually was able to appear friendly and "normal" which was good. I actually can have small talk with her in the office and even in the chair, but I'm still shaking incessantly. Fortunately, I was not shaking in the restaurant...proving it is the office that makes me shake and not the person.

Just goes to show though that despite previous indications and perceived evidence to the contrary, my fear is not of the dentist himself, as a person, but of the dental setting. It is, I think, an important distinction!

Interesting point Gettingthere! This is a very important distinction! I think that once most people find a dentist they are comfortable with, the fear becomes more situation or object specific and less about the dentist (the person) carrying out the procedure (which is how it should be IMO). I think if you fear the dentist (the person), it indicates that the trust relationship is not there and it is time to move on to new dentist. This is very much the case for me too. I am very fearful of the situation/environment but having my dentist there doing the work brings me some comfort and calms me because I trust that she will do a good job and put my comfort first.

I can not say I have run in to my dentist, but I have been told one lives on my street :drool:

I have however run it to a nurse that works at my doctor surgery
Consus

I saw my dentist out of her scrubs, in her ordinary clothes when she arrived at her office in the morning. That was strange: she's actually quite hot and has a very good dress sense. I would never have guessed that.

I've also met a dentist when out doing my hobby, she's really cool and I wish I could go to her, but she lives in a different city, and it would be really impractical. But it's strange to think that before she comes out to have fun with me and my other friends, she pulls out people's teeth. :)

Back