• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rapid enamel wear

R

run!

My front teeth are wearing down pretty damn fast in the past couple of months. I first noticed it in my bottom teeth so I started wearing a mouthguard to bed, it didn't look like it was getting worse but I couldn't close my mouth with it on so I used a sports mouth guard instead which was bigger but more comfortable and didn't keep my mouth open that much.

In terms of the material, the two seemed pretty much identical (except the bruxism one cost about 4 times as much) and the sports one felt like it would actually be easier on the bottom teeth because the plastic was a lot more smooth.

Anyway, I wore that for a week, two weeks and one morning I noticed my top front teeth have worn down quite significantly as well.

I don't eat sugary/junk/acidic foods, I only drink water and milk and even with that, I drink through a straw. I brush 2-3 times daily, before breakfast (wait 30 minutes), and an hour after eating

I always chew xylitol gum after eating…I have a habit of swishing saliva around (sorry if that seems unpleasant) whilst chewing cause they DO have xylitol mouthwash. But could this be a cause? Acidic saliva? I've been doing it for almost a year now.

The wear is on the tip of the teeth but there are signs of wear down the edges as well. If it matters, my top teeth have always been transparent around the tips, but the white bit (dentin?) actually looks like it's getting smaller

EDIT: Also, there is no noticeable wear on either mouthguards (I hear most people who suffer from severe bruxism go through them quite quickly). I do have ringing in my ears but have always attributed that to loud music. No headaches/neck/jaw pain

Last edited:
Not sure what your exact question is but I would suggest you see a dentist for an evaluation of the wear issues. I would have thought that a custom-fit mouthguard from a a dentist taken using proper impressions should be the best option rather than an over the counter sports mouthguard which often are very ill-fitting and make breathing difficult.

Back