• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rct alternatives?

S

scaredsmile

Last year I went through hell after a deep filling on a cavity in a molar. After the filling, I had bad tooth pain, returned to the dentist, and he told me a root canal was the only thing that would stop the pain, even though there was no actual infection or pulp damage. I don't have insurance so that put me in major debt; as the local dental schools do not offer this complicated procedure, I had to pay out of pocket for an endodontist. The procedure itself was very stressful, the temporary crown kept coming off when I ate, the permanent one had to be redone twice as it did not fit, etc. It took 4 months total to be completed. Never want to go through it again, total nightmare that I am still paying off!!!

Bad news now: I have four more cavities, to be filled next week. Currently have no pain. But, I'm terrified one or more of them will be deep (esp one that is between 2 molars) and thus I will need another RC. So my question is, if they are deep and cause pain after the filling, are there other (less expensive, less invasive) options for saving the teeth? Like a pulp cap or crown without the full RC procedure? Will the dentist be able to determine what's possible with x-rays and observation, or do I just have to wait for the shooting pain when I eat ice cream, like last time? Will using a certain material or technique for the filling prevent the need for the RC?

you had a root canal with no infection and no pulp damage? did that stop the pain?

as far as your question, from what I understand if the filling is deep the dentist should be able to tell you and then you would have to wait and see if there is pain.

if there is an alternative to root canal/crown I dont think there is.. or I would be doing it for my tooth issue.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be around soon to better answer your questions

Last edited:
you had a root canal with no infection and no pulp damage? did that stop the pain?

as far as your question, from what I understand if the filling is deep the dentist should be able to tell you and then you would have to wait and see if there is pain.

if there is an alternative to root canal/crown I dont think there is.. or I would be doing it for my tooth issue.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be around soon to better answer your questions

Yeah, the RC did stop my pain last time. There was no infection or pulp damage, but the dentist explained that basically, the cavity and its filling was too close to the nerve, causing the pain, and the only way to fix it was removing the nerve :cry:

I'm so scared it's going to happen again. My appointment is next Tuesday.

I ask because I was told to do a root canal to stop pain I am having but there is no pulp damage.. funny I stumbled upon your post.

I would think the dentist could tell from the xray if the decay looks deep and can at least give you an idea before the filling if it is likely you would need one again or ease your mind and tell you it is not deep.

Good luck, i know how scary it all is.

As far as i know there is no alternative to a root canal and there is no alternative to a crown after, except extraction

Back