• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

RCT filling keeps falling down, crowning questions?

I

ilostmysoul

I broke off around 2/3 of a molar (the pre-last one on my right side) and my dentist decided to use only a filling. In Europe, most dentists are very low-tech and always opt for the cheapest option both for them and their patients.

Anyway, the part of the filling and part of the tooth fell down 3-4 months ago, and I went back. I have no idea exactly how much of the tooth natural structure is left, but it shouldn't be much at all. Anyway, the dentist explained to me what I already knew: the tooth is weaker, and therefore eating certain foods will tend to break it. She filled it again.

I told her I wasn't particularly fond of the idea of having to control my food habits or have to consciously eat tougher foods with the other side of my mouth for an indefinite period of time. I went away with a deal: should the filling fall off again, I would go back, and she would make me a composite crown. This way, she says, the tooth isn't nearly as damaged for the preparation as it would be if it was a more complex crown. She said the crown most likely will have to be replaced from time to time, but I would be free to remove it and switch to a better, more expensive crown down the road.

Part of the filling broke off again today. They will close down next week (I'm out of town atm) for Christmas and scheduled me for the 1st weekend of January. According to them, this isn't an emergency, and unless a big portion falls down, waiting a few weeks shouldn't make a difference, but if I feel uncomfortable then they advised me to either go to another dentist, or ask for an emergency appointment and be willing to pay an extra fee.

My question right now is whether the crown plan is sound. Is a composite crown any better than a filling? Do I still need to worry about my eating habits? How often does it have to be replaced? How do I know if it has to be replaced? Will it fall, or is something to be noticed on the biannual checkups? I know I should have asked this question to my dentist, but once an appointment is over I'm in "let's-get-out-of-here-asap" mode.

Thanks!

G

gentledental

Verified dentist
If there is more filling than tooth then a crown is advisable. Either a gold or E.Max crown are my preferred material of choice because they can be bonded to the tooth, which will reinforce strength. Composite crowns are cheaper to make and is more flexible compared to porcelain.