• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

RCT tooth still mobile and sensetive

V

Victoria37

Hi

I had a fall in early Nov which meant I had to have RCT on one of my front teeth in Dec. It is still mobile and sensitive to touch ( can't put any pressure on it).

Is this normal? Will it become stable again? Will I be able to use it as a tooth again in the future?

Wondering whether I should just get it pulled out and put an implant in which would look nicer and be more useful.... any advice is much appreciated.... my dentist is basically telling me to live with it as it is 'filling a gap'....

Thanks in advance. I am driving myself insane!!

A couple of different things could be going on. These are the most likely...

It could still be healing. - It should settle down in the next couple of months if this is the case.
It could have a fracture in the root - These can be difficult to see on x-rays sometimes. If this is the case the tooth wouldn't be able to be saved.

If it isn't getting any better in the next month or two, an implant would definitely be a good replacement option. I wouldn't jump to that quite yet though.

Have you had the final restoration (the permanent filling) in the root canal? I'm going through something similar. I had a fall 20 years ago and broke a front tooth. Had a rct at the time and it's been bearable for 20 years but I've always had sensation and intermittent pain. In October I started with toothache in the other front tooth and dentist said rct should be done but as yet it's still settling down so I haven't had the final restoration but have had it cleaned out several times. A few weeks back the original broken tooth which had its rct 20 years ago started hurting more than normal so I had that re rct'd last week and as yet that is still to settle as I'm having shocking nerve pains in it...it's only been a few days so I hope it will settle. Ive been considering implants fit both as it's been a long haul since October with constant pain.

Back