• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Re: Mikey's girlfriends surgery

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hi Mikey
Tell her it feels no worse than someone doing one gentle scatch with the end of a BIC biro cap on the back of her hand...she can practise relaxing while doing this or letting you do this...it's nothing to worry about and a much more pleasant way of getting the anaesthesia in than using a mask over the nose.

I don't see that she'd have any 'shots' for the procedure apart from the i/v being put in...they may want a blood sample beforehand again a tiny scratch or nothing depending who does it.
:grouphug:

Re: global hug going out to all "newbies" on here.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if the IV is more pleasant than the gas :cloud9:, I've had both for surgeries and i prefer the gas but i will try all the things you've said :party: :grouphug:

She is still freaking, i think i might just go with her to the surgery so she will be alot less anxious about going.

I think that would be a really nice thing to do especially if a relative isn't accompanying her. I've always found anything medical (mainly childbirth related in my case) much less stressful with my partner in tow.

I agree, she comes with me when i get stuff done at the dentist so i will go with her to get her tonsils out and hold her other hand while they put the Iv in :).

do you get a choice between gas and iv for surgery?? Might have one comming up.As far as sedation I had valium beforehand and nitrous while in the chair and was fine....Took away boatloads of anxiety.Be sure to get a good numbing gel then you shouldn't feel the shots.Communicate with the dentist!! GOOD LUCK

I't all depends, I think you could get gas but if youre over like 13 they do the Iv most of the time :confused: not sure why.

On my last one they gave me both gas and Iv and im 16, They put the IV like 15 mins. before the surgery then they injected something in the IV tube when i went into the OR but im not sure if it was a sedative or not.. it just sent a cold chill up my arm.  :cheers:

Eeep, three more days till i have to go to the hospital with her :hidesbehindsofa:, I'm as scared of there as the dentist office cause its full of needles. I'm worried about when they put the IV in her i wont stay calm. She said she wants me to be beside her and hold her hand as they do it. She told me she is probably going to break down crying when they get ready to do it.

well that paragraph doesent flow well at all.... oh well!

-mikey

mikey said:
I'm as scared of there as the dentist office cause its full of needles.
-mikey
What gives you the idea the place is full of needles? They only need one :p....neither you nor she needs look.....if it's i/v in back of wrist to use for GA, it's very short and not like a syringe at all. You are 'out of it' in a couple of seconds literally, it's amazing.

I'm sure they will take good care of her whether you manage to stay the course or not.

when I had IV sedation, despite the valium I was shaking with fear. My sister came into the room with me, but there would have been no room at all for her to be at my side holding my hand, as the sedationist was one side, with the numbing gel, holding my arm and comforting me, a monitor thing on one finger of the other hand, and all his other monitoring and dentist paraphernalia the other side. She sat opposite me, which was much more comforting because I could see her and she talked to me and kept me occupied while the needle went in and when I went under, the sedationist motioned her to leave the room. So what I am saying is, despite the fact there would have been no room for her to be side by side holding my hand, it was much better for me to actually see her smiling opposite me. I'm sure your girlfriend will be just the same, seeing you will be more comforting.

thanks for the reply, I'll ask her what she would prefer but if anything ill make sure she can see me  :)

Also, When they put the IV its going to be before her surgery so It will be in for a while before they sedate her.

I feel bad taking archeo's thread and turning it into a journal.

Today at school during economics she just broke down crying , she said it was because her surgery was so close. I tried to give the " you'll get through it fine" speach but it didnt work. She then said the doctor told her at the pre-op that they werent going to use just IV to put her to sleep but they were going to use the gas first and then use the IV. :cloud9:.

-mikey

mikey said:

She then said the doctor told her at the pre-op that they werent going to use just IV to put her to sleep but they were going to use the gas first and then use the IV.  :cloud9:.

-mikey
So that will be better for her then if she is needle phobic? I'll split the thread out for you.

Thanks for splitting it brit :jump:.

Well, it will make it somewhat better, but she still will have to get an IV before they take her into the OR and give her some gas and the Sedative into the IV tube. I explained to her what exactly was going to happen from my past expireances, and she was surprised that when they do IV's they only leave a little plastic tube in not a needle :)

-mikey

mikey said:

oh, whatever, Mikey :p :grouphug: to you and your GF

Ok. someone, Brit maybe?? Suggested that the feeling of getting the IV inserted kind of feels like the cylinder of a Bic lighter scratching you?? I can HONESTLY SAY it doesn't even feel THAT bad.

I've had two instances where an IV was required to be given for a procedure = my two kids.. I did NOT want an IV (I *hate* needles with a purple passion) = but it was hospital policy to put one in (in case of emergency).. *shrug* ok I let the nurse put one in.. *sigh* Didn't feel a THING. The IV was attached to saline or whatever fluid they have going into you = there was NO feeling, no pain, no annoyance, no tickling = nothing. Not even a tiny prick of the needle going in. Not even a bit of discomfort for the IV tube = nada, zilch, zero, zip.

If you can be with her, holding her other hand, and get her to look at you, away from the hand they are inserting the IV into, she won't notice a thing till they start taping it. I gave my labor nurse a hard time, asking when she was gonna be done when it was already taped onto me.

Print this out if you need to and give it to her = I promise from experience, the worst she's gonna feel *is* as if she just scratched an itch.

Thanks for the post

Thats exactly how mine went but i did feel it going in just it felt more like my cat scratching me than anything. :)

I got bad news today that one of my friends at school that was absent for a week or so has IGA Nephropathy, and has been in the hospital the whole time :(. Her name is tiffany and she has a website that you can leave comments, any positive feedback anyone on here can leave would be great to keep her spirits high ;)

[out-of-date link removed]

Hi,
    Tomarrows the day..eek. I called her earlier and found her crying and very anxious/nervous. I told her that me and her parents will be there to comfort her( even if it envolves me skipping school) and it will be ok. That helped her some but well just see tomarrow. :confused:

-mikey

archaeodani2 said:
Ok. someone, Brit maybe?? Suggested that the feeling of getting the IV inserted kind of feels like the cylinder of a Bic lighter scratching you?? I can HONESTLY SAY it doesn't even feel THAT bad.

Hi yes it was me..but it wasn't as bad as a BIC lighter barrel :p...I just meant a BIC biro cap so the cap on the end of a pen essentially...I agree with you though..I don't find i/v insertion painful at all (have had them in hospital not for dental things) but I am not needle phobic and am good at relaxing...for people who can't relax their hand and have tense muscles.....it probably does feel like 'just a little scratch' which is the language often used by staff in the UK to pre warn about the sensation.

Also on this board people think you are lying or have an unusually high pain threshold when you say things are 100% painless...however the truth is they often are 100% painless and I definitely do not have a high pain threshold but I can relax well which is supposed to help in these matters.

For instance with numbing gel I have never had an uncomfortable dental injection...I have been aware of some sensations but not registered anything as painful....for my last most recent filling....the dental injection was completely imperceptible...I felt nothing whatsoever.....so things really have come a long way...with the right dentist who bothers to train in the truly painfree techniques.

Back