• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Reaction to anesethitic or simple anxiety?

J

jamana

Background: I have had multiple procedures done since childhood and never encountered a problem. I am typically difficult to get numb and stay numb. Even my spinal block used for a C-section wore off before they had me stitched up. I have been diagnosed with PVC's but the doctors seem unconcerned and stated it was common (5 years ago) I have had high blood pressure but it is no longer an issue. I am a 28 yr old Female.

Recently: The last 3 times I have had dental work I have had what I can only describe as an reaction. The first and worse "reaction" was when I was given 3% carbocaine. I was initially given 2 shots. As the first shot was administered I felt slight tightness in my chest immediately. As the second shot was given the tightness in my chest got worse but after a few minutes and deep breathing it got better but never went away. I assumed it was nerves because I was having a root canal and I was a bit anxious. While the dentist was drilling, when he got close to the nerve I had slight feeling return. This was nothing unusual for me, which my dentist knew, so since we had a way to go he stopped and administered my third shot. (I have had more than 3 on a number of visits)While he was in the middle of giving the shot the tightness in my chest became worse. I tried to dismiss it as nerves but when he concluded the shot, I was holding my chest and he asked if I was ok. I was trying to reassure him when I began to loose consciousness. He saw it coming before I registered what was happening. He instructed me to cough and deep breathe which ultimately kept me conscious. The fainting spell was over but my chest continued to hurt and feel extremely tight, but he was able to finnish up with my tooth. The rest of the entire day my chest was tight and hurt. Around 4-6 hours later my right shoulder began to hurt also. I felt faint again at this time but I never lost consciousness. When my shoulder pain was at its worse, the palm of my hand on that arm turned blue. My chest continued to hurt for a week after this.
I have had the tightness, burning, and hurting in my chest with the next two visits but the symtoms were not as bad, they did not hurt as bad, and I never fainted again. During the second visit I was given 2 shots of 4% Septocaine, and during the third he gave me one shot of 2% Lidocaine given 1/4 of a vile slowly, 1/4 slowly, 1/2 a little more quickly and I have still had the same reaction. I still have chest pain from the lidocaine injection today. The dentist informed me that he would not do any work on me today or any day until he receives an all clear from a doctor. I was unable to see a doctor today but I have an appointment tomorrow. I was wondering if you have ever heard of anything like this and what your opinions may be on possible causes. I would like to give my doctor a starting point for diagnosis. My dentist had no idea a possible cause other that heart issues.
Thank you for your time!

I presume that the dentist didn't have a monitor on you and his treatment certainly sounds reasonable. Although you are young it is possible to have a cardiac issue. A cardiologist could have you wear a monitor that would record your rhythm for 24 hours+

I have worked in dentistry for many years and have never seen a reaction like that. It's good that the dentist won't do any more work until you get checked by a physician. Better safe than sorry.

Back