• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ready to be done with life because of my teeth

D

depressedbunny

I don't expect anyone to reply to this but I just need to vent as I'm in the middle of having a breakdown. My teeth are literally ruining my life. I never thought I'd have so many problems with my teeth. It started with having a gap as a child and needing braces. Then after my braces came off I had white spots on my bottom teeth that I became insecure of. Then I had to get fillings in pretty much every tooth. Now, a few years later, I'm dealing with severe bruxism and I’m in severe pain (realizing that I've probably cracked some of my teeth) and crying my eyes out. Not to mention my gap came back after my retainer decided not to fit anymore so getting braces was a waste. I also have moderate gum recession. I'm so so tired. I need to tell my parents that I need to make an appointment but I'm so scared of having to get more work done on my teeth. I don't have a fear of the dentist I just don't want to have any more work done. I'm only 19 and dealing with this many teeth problems is just ridiculous. I can't even smile because I'm so insecure and hate my teeth so much. I'm just done. I never thought it would be like this. The sooner my life ends the better. That sounds dramatic but that's really just how I feel. I'm just tired and the thought of all the work I need done and the money and everything just exhausts me. Rant over.

Last edited:
Hey noordinaryloves, sounds like you've had to struggle with a lot of dental procedures early on in your life, and I'm very sad to hear about the braces not correcting the issue they were installed for.

On the bright side you're very, very young and dont seem to have any major issues with your teeth, getting into the dentist office and having them check your teeth out is absolutely the way to go. I understand being tired of al the work, I'm also in the middle of a large renovation (have had 4 appt. in 3 weeks by now) and it is very frustrating having to return back over and over, but each time I feel so much better to have fixed one more thing, and I get a little bit of confidence back!

Trust me; t's almost never as bad as you think it'll be, hope all goes well and regarding cost; most clinics understand that patients don't necessarily have the means to pay for all the work, so they do often offer payment plans or other services, ask them!

I am older than you, but can empathize on the overwhelming feeling of never ending dental issues and pain. I went through a dark time a few years ago, when I had a crown replaced on a molar (only crown I ever had), that led to a root canal and eventually extraction. That seemed to set off a whole chain of dental issues. I also had bruxism, but never knew it, and had basically cracked several molars over the years that showed up once I had a tooth out and it changed my occlusion with how my teeth connected. Suddenly I was putting more pressure on other teeth and they hurt. I had a lot of dental work done in two years and it caused a lot of depression.
The thing to remember is that it is not usually as bad as you think it is. Your young and your teeth may not be cracked. Bruxism can cause your teeth to be sore without cracking them. Cracked teeth can also be fixed if caught early as they won’t be as bad. Some of the pain may also be from the TMJ joint from the bruxism. I have issues with that and it can feel like pain in your teeth.
Do you have a nightguard? Even an over the counter one is better than nothing but a good one made at your dentist can do wonders for protecting your teeth. I have one now and it has made a world of difference.

I understand why you feel this way. I am feeling the same way. Worrying that it is only a matter of time before I lose more teeth. I have to get one out for a failed root canal and I feel like my life is over.

I hope you are feeling okay now. I am thinking of seeing a therapist once I get my teeth all fixed up. I know I have a lot of people that love me so I have to stick around for them, teeth or no teeth. I'm sure you have the same.

I have a couple decades on you and a daughter your age. It would break my heart if my daughter had thoughts and. feelings like this. I hope you can share your worries with your parents or someone close to you.

I’m someone with “bad teeth” despite consistently brushing flossing etc. and always maintaining a good diet (no soda or junk food). I haven’t always gone to the dentist though due to my anxiety.

You most likely won’t struggle with your teeth your entire life. It will probably come and go. I’ll give you a little recap of my experiences. I had a lot of cavities from ages 10-18. Probably because my parents didn’t believe in flouride and bad teeth (deep grooves etc). Then I stopped going to the dentist for my entire 20’s. I go back in my early 30’s and shockingly no tooth decay. My 30’s continue with a cavity and a root canal which later failed but that’s it. My 40’s saw other health problems (post partum depression and breast cancer). After another absence I’ve had A LOT of decay probably attributed to my other health issues, old fillings that needed to be replaced, stress (I grind my teeth).

As someone with cancer, I desperately want to live another 4 decades and see my children grown and have their own children. Teeth problems, while they still give me anxiety and I’ll certainly never love going to the dentist, is really more of a minor nuisance for me. I have a surgery coming up for my cancer and then after that I have some fillings that need done. In between those days I will feel blessed to be alive. I

I’m sure I’ll feel anxious about my fillings at the time but those feelings won’t last. Your life will be long with a lot of twists and turns, with many failures and many more triumphs. The only way anyone gets good at dealing with hard stuff (dental anxiety included ) is by just doing it. Facing your fears and doing the next thing that’s required. Chemo has wrecked my memory so though I have read this entire thread, I can’t remember if you attend to therapy or not, I highly suggest therapy and or medication to help with your depression and anxiety. My daughter that’s your age is in both therapy and takes medicine for anxiety (not dental anxiety). Anxiety and depression are very common. Take care

I have a couple decades on you and a daughter your age. It would break my heart if my daughter had thoughts and. feelings like this. I hope you can share your worries with your parents or someone close to you.
I’m someone with “bad teeth” despite consistently brushing flossing etc. and always maintaining a good diet (no soda or junk food). I haven’t always gone to the dentist though due to my anxiety.
You most likely won’t struggle with your teeth your entire life. It will probably come and go. I’ll give you a little recap of my experiences. I had a lot of cavities from ages 10-18. Probably because my parents didn’t believe in flouride and bad teeth (deep grooves etc). Then I stopped going to the dentist for my entire 20’s. I go back in my early 30’s and shockingly no tooth decay. My 30’s continue with a cavity and a root canal which later failed but that’s it. My 40’s saw other health problems (post partum depression and breast cancer). After another absence I’ve had A LOT of decay probably attributed to my other health issues, old fillings that needed to be replaced, stress (I grind my teeth). As someone with cancer, i desperately want to live another 4 decades and see my children grown and have their own children. Teeth problems, while they still give me anxiety and I’ll certainly never love going to the dentist, is really more of a minor nuisance for me. I have a surgery coming up for my cancer and then after that I have some fillings that need done. In between those days I will feel blessed to be alive. Im sure I’ll feel anxious about my fillings at the time but those feelings won’t last. Your life (if you don’t end it) will be long with a lot of twists and turns, with many failures and many more triumphs. The only way anyone gets good at dealing with hard stuff (dental anxiety included ) is by just doing it. Facing your fears and doing the next thing that’s required. Chemo has wrecked my memory so though I have read this entire thread, I can’t remember if you attend to therapy or not, I highly suggest therapy and or medication to help with your depression and anxiety. My daughter that’s your age is in both therapy and takes medicine for anxiety (not dental anxiety). Anxiety and depression are very common. Take care

This is a really great perspective. Thank for you this. I have been feeling similarly to this poster, even though I don’t have as many teeth with fillings as them. I have been feeling like my life is over. The reality is, I should be happy that my only life problem is bad teeth. Which can be fixed with enough money.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. I will return to it when I’m feeling bad and reread

@noordinaryloves I've just read your post and wonder how things are with you in Sept 2022?
Dental issues are horrendous and can change your whole perspective on life and bring you down......how are you now?

Back