• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really dissapointed with this Forum

E

enddays

Hi, I joined this Forum, and on the advice given here chose to have several teeth extracted via IV sedation. I now find that my post for advice on an after extraction problem was only responded to by a kind but not professional poster. Where are the Pro Dentists when you need their advice I wonder?

If I don't get a pro response within the next 24 hours, I will have to assume that this Forum is just designed to drum up business for Dentists pushing lucrative IV Sedation, and without any real professional follow-up advice :(

Last edited:
Have you asked your own dentist the same question that you originally posted.

I agree with the last poster, why pose this question to an internet forum and not your actual dentist? Or AN actual dentist? Maybe the forum is meant for other things of which I'm not aware...but this is a resource for people who are afraid of going to the dentist and want support from others who share the fear but have conquered it.

This site isn't to replace educated medical advice from an actual dentist.

Hi enddays you posted your question with photo on the 18th May which is only a couple of days ago. This forum is not to diagnose anyone as this would be impossible to do on a forum using a description or a photo. Your after care should be taken care of by your own dentist or the person that removed your teeth.

There are only a few dentists that come on this forum and they give their time free, they do not diagnose anyone on here they give an opinion of what a problem may be. They spend their days looking after their own patients and we are most grateful that they find time to post on here when they can. Sometimes it takes a while for them to answer a question as they are busy people doing a grand job.

I don't know of one person on here that would tell you to get your teeth extracted as this has to be your own choice after discussing all your options with a dentist that you have seen in person and they have been able to examine you and take x rays.

We offer support to people that have dental fear, hence the title of this forum. It is a very friendly forum and we are happy to offer an opinion but as the most of us baring about 6 or 7 people we are not dentists and have no knowledge of dental procedures other than what we have experienced. It is on this basis that support is offered. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site through experience as patients.

Who advised you to have your teeth extracted ?

What is it that you expect the dentists on here to tell you?

I hope that you do heal well and that you will please go and visit your own dentist or at least phone them and ask their advice. Follow the after care instructions Good luck with your healing :clover::clover::clover:

Hi enddays you posted your question with photo on the 18th May which is only a couple of days ago. This forum is not to diagnose anyone as this would be impossible to do on a forum using a description or a photo. Your after care should be taken care of by your own dentist or the person that removed your teeth.

There are only a few dentists that come on this forum and they give their time free, they do not diagnose anyone on here they give an opinion of what a problem may be. They spend their days looking after their own patients and we are most grateful that they find time to post on here when they can. Sometimes it takes a while for them to answer a question as they are busy people doing a grand job.

I don't know of one person on here that would tell you to get your teeth extracted as this has to be your own choice after discussing all your options with a dentist that you have seen in person and they have been able to examine you and take x rays.

We offer support to people that have dental fear, hence the title of this forum. It is a very friendly forum and we are happy to offer an opinion but as the most of us baring about 6 or 7 people we are not dentists and have no knowledge of dental procedures other than what we have experienced. It is on this basis that support is offered. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site through experience as patients.

Who advised you to have your teeth extracted ?

What is it that you expect the dentists on here to tell you?

I hope that you do heal well and that you will please go and visit your own dentist or at least phone them and ask their advice. Follow the after care instructions Good luck with your healing :clover::clover::clover:

Thanks Carole
I have answered many many questions over the years and I have never seen one patient as a result of this forum. This is not a source for me to drum up business as the poster says.

Comfortdentist I appreciate the advice that you and the other dentists give on here, it has helped me to be able to have contact with dentists and question you about things that I don't always understand. It also helps me and I am sure others too to see dentists as people and not just the person that we dread.

Thank you very much for the time you give it has helped me a lot as has this forum, along with my own dentist as well. :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly::thankyou:

I would also like to thank the dentists that respond on this blog to the people that need support or questions answered. Sometimes just hearing it from another dentist makes you trust your own dentist enough to move forward with their recommendations which results in better care for all involved. Whether it is the person asking the question or a person reading it that has a similar problem. It is a win win for all and I am very grateful and I know others on this blog are too. ;) Reno

At last some responses to a post by me. As some have said, why don't I just ask my Dentist for advice ? Fair point, but that just seems to negate the purpose of this Forum, being it is intended to offer general free advice. I can assure you that my Dentist's advice might be free, but the consequent treatment would be expensive, including general anesthesia, opening of the gums, burring down of the bone socket growths and stitching :cry:

Forgot to add ..... I have a least stirred the Forum into action, but still await an answer to my original question re the bone growths from my gum ? Come on Professionals, answer my original question ?

Last edited:
I'm really sad to read that you are so disappointed with this forum. It does state very clearly that it is no substitute for a face-to-face meeting with a dentist, and I can't imagine that you would choose to have several teeth extracted purely on the basis of advice from an Internet forum. The people who help and post advice on here do so out of a wish to help other people, and my personal experience here has been invaluable is helping me make informed decisions based on the help and support of people who understand how hard and frightening dental matters are for me, and can give me advice from my perspective. We are also lucky enough to have a section where qualified dentists offer advice completely freely, and they all make it very clear that they are offering advice on the basis of what they are told, and that you should visit a dentist in person too.

I hope you will give this forum another chance, as it is a really useful support mechanism, and you will get a lot of help here.

On a personal note, a huge thank you to all the people who have helped me - I appreciate it more than I could ever say - and also to all the people who so kindly give their time and support to all those who are scared, frightened and feel alone in their fear. :jump::jump::jump:

Enddays - forgot to add that you could maybe post your original question in the forum section entitled Your Dentistry Questions Answered. Good luck, your situation sounds painful :scared::clover:

Yes irmemac!

None of us intend to come off negatively, or dodgy when it comes to your questions.

I'm new here myself so I wasn't aware there was a section dedicated to having your questions fielded by a dentist. What irmemac said, then! Try there!

I truly do hope your situation improves! Some dentist offices offer free xrays and checkups for new patients, if you feel uncomfortable taking your current dentist's advice at face value, I'd try another and see what they say.

Then again, the answer might not be what you hoped it would be. You'll be fine either way, just be sure you're comfortable with the decision, whichever way you end up going!

Back