• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really freaked out about my teeth, please help.

L

Lordofthedance

Hi, so I've been struggling with this problem for about a week. I'm really concerned, because I've never experienced this before. My upper front teeth feel very weird and it's hard to pinpoint which tooth is the culprit. They don't actually ache, they just feel very strange, like they don't fit well. I can't see any stains or holes and don't feel any damage when I tap them.

This came up very suddenly and I have no idea what's going on. It seemed to have cleared up yesterday, but today the feeling is back, along with my anxiety times 1000. I can hardly sleep, without taking a sleeping pill, because I'm so panicked. When I do sleep, I have dreams about all of my teeth falling out.

I don't really have a personal dentist anymore and all of the practices I rang couldn't fit me in till June. I am so so afraid my teeth might have already fallen out/rotted by then. I am also terrified of a new dentist judging me and saying the damage is untreatable. Please give me some advice/reassurance.

It's impossible to give a diagnosis without even seeing you, however, it's most unlikely to be anything serious or anything that's going to cause all your teeth to fall out. You'd have plenty of warning before anything catastrophic happened, such as lots of pain, massively loose and mobile teeth etc etc.

Stressing out over this will not be helping, clenching/grinding teeth can cause similar symptoms to your report and stress tends to increase the amount of clenching/grinding that goes on... try to not let it get to you quite so much.

I can't speak for every dentist, but it's never crossed my mind to "blame" a patient for the state of their teeth, dentists are usually "doers" they will be busy planning how they're going to fix the issue, rather than trying to affix blame for the situation.

A few of them might also be thinking "Here we go with that new BMW" mind you! :)

Thank you for replying to me. I already feel a bit better now.

No problem let us know how you get on when you get to a dentist. I can recommend somebody in Brussels if that's near you?

Back