• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really Great First Cleaning with New Dentist After Fillings 3 Months Ago.

O

overbitestinks93

Before the appointment I was really nervous and could feel it in my stomach. I was worried that the cleaning would damage my front teeth fillings. Mostly since the one that was the most chipped could only be partially rebuilt when they did them in February. I thought that one would be the easiest for something to damage it. (Then again I got nervous every time the dentist or hygienist touched it for the 7 years that the other dentist had ignored it.)

The hygienist was the one who assisted the dentist for my fillings, so she knew from before that I got anxious. What I was most-nervous about was when she went to scale around the fillings I had down in my bottom front teeth, but nothing chipped off. She also used this weird thing that looked like a drill, and brushed against my teeth. It felt like it had water spraying out of it though, but my old dentist had never used anything like it before.

The hygienist made jokes to help me not feel as anxious. Then she did the usual brushing and the dentist checked my teeth. No cavities and my fillings still looked good.

I can definitely say I really like this dentist office and how they treat their patients like family. I'm just hoping I don't have to have any fillings like the five I had in February.

Thanks again for all of your advice everyone.

Re: Really Great First Cleaning with New Dentist After Fillings 3 Months Ago.

Hey -

Well done, glad to hear it went so well! Sounds like you've found a great place there.

She also used this weird thing that looked like a drill, and brushed against my teeth. It felt like it had water spraying out of it though, but my old dentist had never used anything like it before.

That sounds like an ultrasonic scaler. They use it to clean off things like tartar, does a similar job to those hand tools hygienists use but (I think) more efficiently. From a patient's perspective it looks and sounds a bit like the drill as it makes a similar high-pitched noise and there's a bit of vibration, but it isn't! I've been confused by that before :)

Re: Really Great First Cleaning with New Dentist After Fillings 3 Months Ago.

Hey -

Well done, glad to hear it went so well! Sounds like you've found a great place there.

That sounds like an ultrasonic scaler. They use it to clean off things like tartar, does a similar job to those hand tools hygienists use but (I think) more efficiently. From a patient's perspective it looks and sounds a bit like the drill as it makes a similar high-pitched noise and there's a bit of vibration, but it isn't! I've been confused by that before :)

It definitely could've been an ultrasonic scaler. Although, I thought they weren't supposed to use those with composite fillings/bonding. (I read a lot about what to be careful about when caring for or eating with composite bonding after I had them done in February.) Regardless, no damage appeared to be done to my front teeth fillings, which is what I was really worried about. I feel like I'm gaining trust with my new dentist. I just hope that I won't need anymore fillings or procedures for a while. (I've been thinking about my other 12 year molars because they've been feeling different and I know I just had to have one of the fillings redone. Hoping those other fillings aren't wearing out too. I literally got them 10 years ago right after the teeth themselves came in. They came in decayed due to slow growth.)

For now I've made it another 6 months, and I'm glad to have a caring dentist office.

Back