• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really need help finding a dentist - Cheshire/Manchester/Midlands

N

needingsupport

My cheek swelled up overnight and I am convinced it is related to one of my awful teeth. After 30+ years of not going to the dentist, my mouth is not a good place, but I can't rationally explain how deep my absolute fear of dentists is.

Today, after a whole day of searching the web, I found a dentist about 25 miles from where I live who I thought would be able to support a gentle approach. I fully discussed my fears and apprehension with the receptionist over the phone and asked to speak to the dentist. She said he was busy (which I understand) but that she would relay my conversation to him and explained that we would be able to talk on a 'one-to-one' basis, without anyone else present and not in the room with the chair.

So I drove 45 minutes to get there, waited 25 minutes to see the dentist, only to be shown into the surgical room by another person who entered and closed the door behind her. I'm sure this sounds trivial, but the amount of effort it took to get me there in the first place was huge. I said, "Didn't your receptionist relay everything I had said?" (I know she'd spoken with him after I explained what I needed to happen as I was placed on hold while she spoke with him.) He said that she'd told him I was nervous - huge understatement!!

The woman kept her hand on the door handle, blocking my way out. I said that I couldn't do this and asked her to remove her hand from the door handle so I could leave. I'm sure she wasn't deliberately blocking my exit, but it felt like it and awoke so many demons within me.

Can someone please help me? I know I've got a world of hell in front of me and it's all ultimately my own doing, but I need so much support and help otherwise I don't know where this will end, other than a worse place than I'm in today. And today's experience has set me further back.

I live near Crewe. I don't have an issue travelling an hour or more - Manchester, Cheshire, Merseyside, Staffs, Birmingham - to find the right person, who can slowly introduce me to their environment following a simple chat (one on one, with no-one else present) and help me adjust, and then be skilled enough to deliver all the treatment/surgery that I will need. I don't care whether it's NHS or Private.

Sorry for sounding pathetic, but thanks for anything you can do. As a male approaching 50, I'm so ashamed, terrified, embarrassed, etc.. Someone said I should "man up" - it's the only thing in my life I can't seem to do it for.

Thanks

Hi There. What a horrid experience! I know only too well (and so does everyone else on here) how much effort, anxiety, and adrenaline that trip must have cost you. We are similar ages.......and up until 3 weeks ago I hadn't been to a dentist for 30 years either. I live on the outskirts of Birmingham and am happy to message you the name of my dentist........BUT I am sure you will find one much closer to you.
I had been "lurking" on this site........and the internet in general, for ages before I plucked up the courage to face my fears and searched and researched numerous dentists, before I found the one right on my doorstep!! They are not specifically for phobic patients. They are just nice people!
I received help from an e.course run by a dentist in Edinburgh and he suggested emailing several dentists in the area , explaining how I felt (i.e totally terrified) and "audition" them and judge them by their response. He said anyone who is genuinely interested in helping will reply pretty quickly. I was lucky that I got a good response from the first one I tried! However, I had come across a couple of ones that sounded really good in the Birmingham area which I probably would have tried next!
Have a look round, closer to home........and good luck!!

Hi There. What a horrid experience! I know only too well (and so does everyone else on here) how much effort, anxiety, and adrenaline that trip must have cost you. We are similar ages.......and up until 3 weeks ago I hadn't been to a dentist for 30 years either. I live on the outskirts of Birmingham and am happy to message you the name of my dentist........BUT I am sure you will find one much closer to you.
I had been "lurking" on this site........and the internet in general, for ages before I plucked up the courage to face my fears and searched and researched numerous dentists, before I found the one right on my doorstep!! They are not specifically for phobic patients. They are just nice people!
I received help from an e.course run by a dentist in Edinburgh and he suggested emailing several dentists in the area , explaining how I felt (i.e totally terrified) and "audition" them and judge them by their response. He said anyone who is genuinely interested in helping will reply pretty quickly. I was lucky that I got a good response from the first one I tried! However, I had come across a couple of ones that sounded really good in the Birmingham area which I probably would have tried next!
Have a look round, closer to home........and good luck!!

Thanks Lizzieboo - I'll try your suggestion and see what responses I get. Thanks again

Thanks Lizzieboo - I'll try your suggestion and see what responses I get. Thanks again

Hi, I just wanted to ask if you found a good dentist. I have a huge phobia of the dentist and am in Stoke on Trent, so I'd be interested to hear who you went to.

Hi there,

We are an experienced dental team in Stoke On Trent and we are happy to treat all anxious patients. We also offer IV and Inhalational sedation.