• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really need support... feel violated

F

FearfulHwk

I'm Canadian and currently in India. I usually get sedation for all dental work. At the very least 3 x .25
Triazolam tabs. So of course I needed a root canal in india ... only 1 month ago at checkup there was no issue.

Try getting sedation for dental work in india. They think you are nuts for wanting to be comfortable. Further they won't listen to you, the patient at all. You are like a decoration in the room while they talk.

I have issues with local anesthetic. I know if I receive it I will have at least a week or more of post op pain at the injection site to deal with. I should mention India doesn't believe in giving pain killers for post op dental pain either...

Somehow I managed to get 2 x .25 klonopin out of them but they didn't allow it time to work and it didn't do anything... at all. I had to face a root canal and dentists who would not listen to me at all. While I was fully awake and aware, they held me down against my protests to not use local and injected anyway. They tried to tell me it was only irrigation to clean the tooth... after they sprayed some topical stuff... that is a tactic used on kids. I also felt the injection pain anyway.

I went into full panic mode and my heart rate shot to 180 beats per min. My respirations hit about 50 or more. At that point I panicked with the numb feeling... you see when I was younger I received a lingual nerve injury and even though this was too back I still panic with that numbness. So now I felt violated and scared that I am injured with the needle. The rest was unpleasant but not unbearable... nobody wants to be aware of files being inserted into what feels like your brain and sawn back and forth.

After they let me out of the chair I fainted. Then started trying to rip my cheek off my face because of he numbness.i wasn't in control of my actions. I also bit at the inside of my cheek. I wanted the numb gone now. Waiting was not an option. My husband had to physically restrain me as I was literally ripping at my face.

When it finally did leave the pain from the injections kicked in. The muscle at the back behind my back upper tooth hurt to open my mouth. For the first 3 days I only ate pure liquids. My jaw was like it was locked shut and any movement caused pulling on the muscle that was painful. The root canal tooth however was fine. It was now Painless. But who cares when the jaw pain I now have is actually on par with the abscess I had???? I basically traded one pain for another. It's now 1.5 weeks out and my jaw is still painful to open. I can't eat anything I have to chew. The dentist doesn't believe me and thinks I am just milking it. She thinks I am being a baby and just making it more than it is for attention and because I didn't get my own way regarding sedation. Now for future appointments she keeps saying I will have to do without any at all.

I went to a psychiatrist here as they are the ones who can prescribe the good benzos. He gave me higher dose klonopin for the second appointment but would not give triazolam either (why the aversion to triazolam????) :( as a result I am left having to remember the appointments as klonopin doesn't cause anterograde amnesia and I have no way to erase those memories. In Canada I don't remember them at all because of the amnesia effect of triazolam. Now I feel violated as I am being forced to remember something I don't want to experience... and these are traumatic experiences. It's not like you can erase memories??? Especially being held down and forced local anesthetic that they say I required because I'd never be able to handle a root canal without it. Well I can't handle the ongoing jaw pain either from the injection but they don't seem to care once I'm out of their chair.

My husband told me this is he norm in India that patients are not included in any decision making. They just have their protocol and you are an object. They don't care if you are uncomfortable or phobic. They just treat you like a piece of meat that pays them.

How can I erase the memory of the appointments? And how can I get rid of this feeling of being violated??? And what did they do to my jaw???

Last edited:
Here are pics of my bruised face and inside my cheek where you can see how injection sites turn into open ulcers. This is why I begged them not to use local anesthetic. But they held me down and forced it and now I am left dealing with jaw pain over a week and a half later. The bruising is just finally fading and the ulcers are now healing over but till recently were so painful!!!!!!! My jaw muscle at the back of the top behind my back top tooth still hurts to move and if I touch it with my finger inside it's very sore. I am at my wits end with the pain!!!!!! This is worse than the abscess was!!!

https://s18.postimg.org/sbih52t9l/IMG_0631.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/scseyhv3d/IMG_0641.jpg

Back