• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really scared...can't trust new dentist's opinion?

F

Fallen_Angel

Hello all. Having now turned 18, I have chosen to leave my childhood dentist and seek care elsewhere. I had my first checkup with the new dentist today, after at least a year of not been checked up. During this time, I admittedly didn't brush very well...not only have I been extremely busy and poor so I've been living off a diet of generally bad food and drinks, I have a hatred of anything really being in my mouth and touching my teeth, aside from food and drink...it makes me feel slightly sick if I so much as run a finger along my teeth. Over the past couple of weeks I began to fear gum disease and other dental problems because my gums (in my opinion anyways) don't particularly look the best, and I am afraid that in a couple of places my gums may be receding from my teeth and that I might have early signs of tooth decay in a couple. Hence why I decided to return to the dentist and begin taking proper care of my teeth. However, I am just unable to trust my new dentist's words. The dentist only took a very quick look at my teeth, about 30 seconds whilst he counted them, and an x ray. When I mentioned any of my concerns he just waved them off and said things along the lines of "don't worry about your gums, they're fine". But he looked at them for such a short time, and didn't even check for anything - just stuck a finger in my mount and counted them, then took an x ray. He concluded that I need four fillings re-done and one new one, which I trust is correct...but I cannot believe there isn't anything else wrong?

Hey :), were both a similar age (I'm 19). I went in expecting the worst with mad thoughts of me having no teeth at the age of 19 but that wasn't the case (I still needed 9 fillings and 1 extraction/root canal) which from what I initially expected is nothing. I largely suspect you've done the same and simply can't believe there isn't anything else wrong.

Theres no need to doubt the dentist but it's wise to position yourself on the side of caution and get a second opinion if you feel you need to :). It's only natural to be concerned after not having been seen for a while.

Your teeth can be fixed! Which I presume has put at least part of your mind at rest!. Always remember you are in charge now your an adult so if you want something doing or not done for that matter they must obey your wishes as you are their customer :), Try looking to see if there are any other practices in your area that you think look good or have been recommended by friends etc as getting a second opinion doesn't harm anyone and will put your mind at rest :)

All the best with your dental journey!

- Jabbed

Hey :), were both a similar age (I'm 19). I went in expecting the worst with mad thoughts of me having no teeth at the age of 19 but that wasn't the case (I still needed 9 fillings and 1 extraction/root canal) which from what I initially expected is nothing. I largely suspect you've done the same and simply can't believe there isn't anything else wrong.

Theres no need to doubt the dentist but it's wise to position yourself on the side of caution and get a second opinion if you feel you need to :). It's only natural to be concerned after not having been seen for a while.

Your teeth can be fixed! Which I presume has put at least part of your mind at rest!. Always remember you are in charge now your an adult so if you want something doing or not done for that matter they must obey your wishes as you are their customer :), Try looking to see if there are any other practices in your area that you think look good or have been recommended by friends etc as getting a second opinion doesn't harm anyone and will put your mind at rest :)

All the best with your dental journey!

- Jabbed

Hello! Haha, I'm pretty sure I have just rushed in there thinking about everything bad that could be said. Especially since I have problems managing my anxiety and panic attacks even outside of the dentists xD I was sure I had at least the beginnings of gum disease, if not worse! I think I probably will be getting a second opinion, just for the sake of putting my mind at rest (especially since I'm still classed as a full time student until September so it's all free hehe). I guess another part of the problem is the fact that my worry came on so fast (I only started worrying about the state of my teeth last week) and so strong.
Knowing that they are definitely not beyond repair is a huge relief to me! I was imagining all sorts...even though in my mind I knew that I would never need any teeth out yet I was still thinking, "what would an 18 year old with dentures look like?" :ROFLMAO: It is also a relief to know that from looking at statistics in the past hour or so, plenty of people suffer from some stage of gum disease anyways, so it's not like I'm alone - and the dentist will have probably seen much worse at some point as well hehe. Thank you so much for your reply! It has done wonders, being able to talk to someone who understands...the family just think I'm mental :)

Very wise words from young Jabbed there, well done. I can only echo those, if at all in doubt, get your courage together and get a further opinion, and another if you still feel unsure.

You need to know in your own head that what you are being told is right, for both the sake of your dental health and your mental health.

And very well done for taking that huge step in even getting your first opinion. I wish you well.

Kim

Hi Fallen-Angel :welcome: to the forum. A year is not that long not to have seen a dentist. A check up doesn't take two minutes, I am thinking you are in the UK.

I would find another dentist as the one you saw seemed as if he has just done the least required of him and isn't interested in discussing your teeth and gums with you.

Before you let a dentist start doing fillings and any other work on you, you need to know why.

You can help yourself in the time being by brushing twice daily with a pea sized amount of toothpaste on your brush and brush for at least 2 mins. Don't rinse after, as you brush and spit (excuse me) the toothpaste will go, any that is left will work on your teeth after to protect them. If you can afford an elec toothbrush they are much easier to use and clean better than we can manually.

Use mouth wash at mid day, don't rinse as this will continue working after as well, dentists disagree as to how effective this is, but it is personal choice. I was recommended to do this.

Make sure you floss at least once a day. You can also use the interdental brushes if you prefer, again personal choice.

I hope this helps, please do find another dentist and get a second opinion. I would be tempted to go back to your childhood dentist.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: you did really well going, are you worried about having treatment or is it just a trust issue with this new dentist. :)

I am 49, and the first time I saw a dentist (which was for an emergency filling (when a tooth broke) was when I was 42. I actually got 2 fillings. Then again in March for an extraction of a molar instead of root canal and crown. I then got up the nerve to have a full exam and get my mouth in order. Turns out just fillings and 2 top wisdom teeth out. I was afraid it would be so much worse after all the years of avoidance but it wasn't! I just had the last of the fillings done yesterday and last week of Aug i will have a cleaning and the extractions. But no gum problems or anything. Dentist said some are just lucky to have food tooth and gum genetics.

But you know if you don't have trust in this dentist, get another one. I did and it made a world of difference!

Back