• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really struggling right now

M

MountainMama

Most of you know my story and all I have been through in the past year.

I am struggling with my fear and anxiety regarding dental work again. It has gotten worse in the past two weeks. I had been getting better, but this last crown really set me over the edge, with the onset of pain after two days. I am supposed to go in to the endodontist tomorrow to get the tooth tested to see if the nerve is dying. I am terrified of losing another tooth. Plus my other lower molar started up again (the cracked one that also needs a crown).

I called the dentist and canceled my appointment for my permanent crown, and canceled the appointment for getting my other molar prepped for a crown. I just cannot handle it right now. I almost canceled my endodontist appointment, but the uncertainty of knowing if the tooth is okay is really causing more anxiety. If the tooth is okay, I am not sure how I will be able to make the call and schedule the permanent crown appointment. Just the thought of going back in there makes my heart race.

I also am kind of sticking my head in the sand with my front tooth. The endodontist said to let her know if the pain got worse, and it has, but I do not want to face that either. I can't handle an extraction right now, or another round of antibiotics (which is her preferred route). My body has not recovered from the clindamycin yet. I am still having intestinal issues, even with taking probiotics.

I am just really struggling.

That sucks that your still having problems+wish I knew something to say which would help ,hope the appointment isn't as bad as you imagine it will be.

Take a big breath. I’ve been there with not wanting to deal with it. The endo appointment will be a huge insight on what’s going on right? When is the appointment?

Take a big breath. I’ve been there with not wanting to deal with it. The endo appointment will be a huge insight on what’s going on right? When is the appointment?

Tomorrow at 11:20. I am praying that the tooth is fine, just aggravated from the crown prep. I am going to ask her if she can check the other one, too, just so that I am not worrying and wondering over that one as well. So far, every procedure I have had in the past year has failed and led to (or is leading to) extraction. So I just can't face another one. I have had two molars extracted, and will most likely lose my front upper incisor.

I don't have any advice, but I do send encouragement.

Remember how you were so kind in my thread last week? I think you'll get some good karma for that!

Hang in there. You are not alone.

My bottom molar wasn’t super happy when it was prepped and the tooth next to it had a deep filing was very angry for a long time I had to get special toothpaste to calm it down. Does your primary dentist thinks you need a root canal? Have they figured out why your past ones failed?

How’s your temporary feeling? Usually permanent ones feel so much better.

Hi MountainMama,

sorry to read about your anxiety getting worse, you have been through a lot last year and I can't even imagine how exhausting it must be. Reading your post I was wondering whether this is still dental anxiety or more feeling drained and fearful because of the amount of dental work, problems, cost and the failure of the procedures you have been through. You have been really brave to deal with this so far and I get your feeling like it's getting too much.

It sounds like a good idea to take a breather from any work that is not absolutely urgent and just keep the endodontist appointment that hopefully gives you a bit of clarity. Taking care of yourself physically and mentally is the most important thing now.

I will keep my fingers crossed tightly for you to get some good news and some hope today.:clover::clover::clover:

All the best wishes, hang on there and keep us posted :XXLhug:
:grouphug:

My bottom molar wasn’t super happy when it was prepped and the tooth next to it had a deep filing was very angry for a long time I had to get special toothpaste to calm it down. Does your primary dentist thinks you need a root canal? Have they figured out why your past ones failed?

My endodontist says I am a mystery to her, in that none of the root canals have worked, when they look perfect on x rays, and the teeth were not cracked when pulled. She said sometimes, very rarely, the body will reject a root canal as a foreign object. I may be sensitive to something used in the root canal.

My dentist said if the tooth shows up that it needs a root canal, that would be his recommendation. I won't get one, though, based on my history of failures. That is a point of contention, because I still have to pay for the crown since I am not following his recommended course of treatment. My other dentist, that left, did not make me pay for the crown after the root canal failed. I just paid what they paid to have it made, and covered their costs.

Hi MountainMama,

sorry to read about your anxiety getting worse, you have been through a lot last year and I can't even imagine how exhausting it must be. Reading your post I was wondering whether this is still dental anxiety or more feeling drained and fearful because of the amount of dental work, problems, cost and the failure of the procedures you have been through. You have been really brave to deal with this so far and I get your feeling like it's getting too much.

It sounds like a good idea to take a breather from any work that is not absolutely urgent and just keep the endodontist appointment that hopefully gives you a bit of clarity. Taking care of yourself physically and mentally is the most important thing now.

I will keep my fingers crossed tightly for you to get some good news and some hope today.:clover::clover::clover:

All the best wishes, hang on there and keep us posted :XXLhug:
:grouphug:

Thank you for the good wishes. I am pretty sure the dental fear is back, because although I am drained from this whole experience, I hadn't been anxious going in to the dentist or endodontist, just anxious about the outcome. Now just the thought of walking in to the building gives me an adrenaline rush.

I need a break from it. I am praying my two molars are fine, so that I can wait a bit to get the rest of the work done.

My endodontist says I am a mystery to her, in that none of the root canals have worked, when they look perfect on x rays, and the teeth were not cracked when pulled. She said sometimes, very rarely, the body will reject a root canal as a foreign object. I may be sensitive to something used in the root canal.

My dentist said if the tooth shows up that it needs a root canal, that would be his recommendation. I won't get one, though, based on my history of failures. That is a point of contention, because I still have to pay for the crown since I am not following his recommended course of treatment. My other dentist, that left, did not make me pay for the crown after the root canal failed. I just paid what they paid to have it made, and covered their costs.

Ive heard of people being sensitive to root canals. Fingers crossed you get good news today. Please keep us updated on what happens.

Wishing you the best and hopeful of a good outcome.

Not good news. The tooth had lingering sensation after endo ice. Endodontist said it needs a root canal. I am opting for extraction. This really is hard, as I already have the other molar out on that side, so I will have no molars on the bottom right.

I am definitely not okay right now. I have a consult with the oral surgeon for May 10.

:grouphug: Mountain Mama, I don't even know what to say but know my thoughts and prayers are with you... you have to win the dental resiliance award of the world. I think I would freeze and not want to proceed with anything and give myself a break .:hidesbehindsofa:.. so sorry..

I am really sorry to read that :( do you have family or friends currently to talk about and get some support?

I am really sorry to read that :( do you have family or friends currently to talk about and get some support?
Not particularly. My husband is more of the type that doesn't go to the dentist until he needs a tooth pulled, but by choice not from fear. He just tells me get them all pulled and stop dealing with it. :rolleyes: He is getting tired of all my teeth issues messing up our plans.

My friends haven't had the same issues and can't understand what I am going through.

I wish I had something useful to say MountainMama. I totally get how hard it is though especially when no-one wants to listen. x

I understand and just want to offer my best wishes and support. I have a root canal scheduled on my upper second premolar because it’s cracked with a giant old filling and it needs crowned. I’m terrified because the last three root canals I’ve had still hurt after a year with no obvious reason why. This past week my incisors and canine are now hurting on the same side and super painful/reactive to cold, air, my tongue. I feel like now I’m root canaling the wrong tooth and/or going crazy. It takes weeks to get in to see the endodontist, who thinks I have a nerve issue...and every consult is nearly $300. My dentist mentioned my body might think a RC tooth is a foreign body and is trying to push it out of my mouth - hence the pressure feeling. But neither of them can give a for sure reason why any of this is happening. My dentist doesn’t do root canals so seeing him for pain is just paying for a referral to the endo. I have spent thousands on work and consults this past year and am still in pain. My fear is at an all time high now after it being nearly gone. I understand how you feel and wish I had some good advice for you! Do you need your second molar replaced? Could you just use one molar on that side? I understand the frustration and desperation - especially feeling like no one can understand/relate or provide help, answers, etc. Hang in there. Hugs to you.

Not particularly. My husband is more of the type that doesn't go to the dentist until he needs a tooth pulled, but by choice not from fear. He just tells me get them all pulled and stop dealing with it. :rolleyes: He is getting tired of all my teeth issues messing up our plans.

My friends haven't had the same issues and can't understand what I am going through.

Besides our support here on the forum, please allow me to encourage you to get in touch with Samaritans if you feel the need to talk to someone. They are here for anyone who struggles and needs to talk and they will serve you with time and space for whatever you feel right now. Also it is good to talk to someone neutral sometimes.

People who never experienced dental phobia themselves can, in my experience get a bit unpatient.

Sending you virtual hugs and lots of prayers :grouphug:

I am sorry to hear this, MM.

You are not alone.

Back