• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really upset

H

Hostie57

Hi everyone I’m totally new to the wearing of a partial denture but I’m also really upset here’s my story I had a bridge fitted on the right side of my upper teeth about ten yrs ago and a crown on my high tooth well the inevitable happened I had to lose the 3 tooth bridge and I was left with my two front teeth and the crown so me and my dentist decided to go down the flexible denture route twice the price of a nhs one may I add but I was told there much better etc anyway 3 days ago I had it fitted its 7 weeks since the initial extractions well I’m mortified to say the least I’ve a gap between the crown and denture and all you can see is this awful space then plastic surrounding the rather large false tooth much larger than my bridged one was it’s not asthitically pleasing at all I wasn’t expecting a miracle but something similar to what I had with no gap I was expecting ? the denture does fit well and I’ve had no soreness etc but I do feel better with a bit fixadent just for peace of mind really can anyone advise me if anything can be done about this is it normal to have such a prominent gap will it close eventually or would you suggest I go back the plastic ridge is also very noticeable I’m really so down about it all maybe to some it’s silly but when you rely so much on your smile for your job it’s really upsetting me thanks everyone any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Hostie,

First off I am so sorry for really a shocking experience with the whole new denture and bridge and everything not really fitting together and having that space.. I have definitely had experiences of things not looking good to me either. and I just lay low for weeks.. Its hard, and you weren't expecting this to be the case and I imagine were trusting it would all fit a whole lot better.. Its hard in the first place to do it. Its even harder when visible and effecting self esteem! I'm really sorry , it is certainly hard.

It is really good you posted here, because you are in the right place for support and its happened to alot of us. maybe not exact stories but similarities and you all a lot of people that will encourage you here.

Do you feel comfortable with your dentist enough to go back in and show them how this is really bothering you. I would definitely at least take the first step of emailing or calling and saying how troubled you are with this and really want them to take a look and see what they can do. I know my dentist would want me to be completely happy .. they may have to adjust something , I sure hope they can help get you to the point of feeling a lot more comfortable with the aesthetic part of this.

Let us know how you are doing as you progress.. you are in the right place.. I myself have a partial denture and other teeth missing teeth and some esthetic things I am embarassed of . My current dentist is working on helping me fix all this and feeling better about it !

Hostie,

First off I am so sorry for really a shocking experience with the whole new denture and bridge and everything not really fitting together and having that space.. I have definitely had experiences of things not looking good to me either. and I just lay low for weeks.. Its hard, and you weren't expecting this to be the case and I imagine were trusting it would all fit a whole lot better.. Its hard in the first place to do it. Its even harder when visible and effecting self esteem! I'm really sorry , it is certainly hard.

It is really good you posted here, because you are in the right place for support and its happened to alot of us. maybe not exact stories but similarities and you all a lot of people that will encourage you here.

Do you feel comfortable with your dentist enough to go back in and show them how this is really bothering you. I would definitely at least take the first step of emailing or calling and saying how troubled you are with this and really want them to take a look and see what they can do. I know my dentist would want me to be completely happy .. they may have to adjust something , I sure hope they can help get you to the point of feeling a lot more comfortable with the aesthetic part of this.

Let us know how you are doing as you progress.. you are in the right place.. I myself have a partial denture and other teeth missing teeth and some esthetic things I am embarassed of . My current dentist is working on helping me fix all this and feeling better about it !
Hi thanks for your lovely reply I think you’re right I really need to go back to my dentist and explain the things I’m not happy with I’ve family telling me give it a chance let it settle in but I really can’t see this making any difference to a gap and a ridge of plastic being so noticeable and me not being able to dare fully smile il contact my dentist Monday and let you know how I get on thanks again for your reply and support I’m really greatful

That sounds like a great plan to contact them.. I know also that dentists take pride in their work and want it to be the best for you! I know my dentist would want me the most happy.. I imagine yours will too :)

I agree with KR. My dentist would want me to be completely happen with his work too.

Hi,

Esthetics is an essential aspect of dental work. If the denture/bridge or whatever is esthetically unacceptable, that means that the work has failed and a new one (under the guaranty) needs to be made.
Now for some good news: one of the nice things about dentures is that the dentist can really change and rechange without much limitation. I really believe the esthetic aspect can be fixed.

Hi,

Esthetics is an essential aspect of dental work. If the denture/bridge or whatever is esthetically unacceptable, that means that the work has failed and a new one (under the guaranty) needs to be made.
Now for some good news: one of the nice things about dentures is that the dentist can really change and rechange without much limitation. I really believe the esthetic aspect can be fixed.
but what if the dentist thinks something looks ok/good+you disagree?

Yes. Esthetics is subjective. Of course, there are other considerations such as: are the esthetic changes desired by the patient are possible? Do the patient need more time to get used to something ?
But in the end, the only person who can decide whether the esthetic outcome is acceptable or not is only the patient.

I think the question has been edited a bit so I will answer again: in the end, it is the patient’s opinion that matters and the dentist should fulfill it.
There are situations in which making changes are rather difficult (for example: if the crown is cemented with a strong cement) and still it is the patient’s decision whether to repeat it or not. The dentist can certainly try to convince differently but the patient decides.

Hi,

Hi thanks for your reply I hope he does something to alter it I’m finding now it’s slipping out and dropping so easily surely this can’t be right I understand not too tight so it’s painful to wear but even with a denture fixer it’s slipping I’m really fed up I didn’t expect or want this I knew it would never be the same as my natural teeth or fixed bridge but something close I was hoping I can’t wait for tommorrow so I can ring my dentist ? thanks everyone

Hi thanks for your reply I hope he does something to alter it I’m finding now it’s slipping out and dropping so easily
More of the reason to make a new one.

I agree with Dr Daniels and you might want to take a good picture of what you have and share if you have any doubts as to the reasonableness of your complaint. The people on this forum pretty much all have dental issues so they will be supportive.